Kalgoorlie recruitment drives in UK

fourcorners

go on that website much do you!? hehe only joking! lol well i doubt i'd make much but i'll give them a email :laugh:

That website makes me giggle like a school girl. I tried to make my partner jealous "they have a pool table in one of the rooms. How cool is that, being able to play pool?" I said. "I don't think that is what they have the pool table for" she replied. I felt very naive. Believe it or not they advertise their services quite openly on the radio. Does make me feel very sheltered. But $5k a week OMG!!

Hi

Glad someone is being hired from the Uk! My husband and I would love to work in Oz, it will never happen though. He is a Health and Safety manager here in the Uk and I am a hairdresser. My husbands skills are not recognised in Oz even though he is extremely well qualified here, such a shame. We have seen loads of job vacancies for HSE mostly in Perth, now I know why there are so many of these jobs available. Good luck to everyone heading down under to live and work, I hope it all works out for you.

Holly

Holly,

What H&S quals does your other half have? I always see loads of H&S type jobs when i'm looking at Australia, what do they ask for? Does NEBOSH not have any clout in Australia? Do they need this 'cert iv' instead?

Hi Lauren

If we had the funds for flights and shipping our belongings we would rent out our house and get there asap, but unfortunately without the sale we don't have the money to do this. My husband is the main applicant, he is an electrician, luckily the company that have sponsored him are prepared to wait for us, we keep in contact with them as often as we can and it's all good.

We have been in the UK for almost 5 years, we're originally from Richards Bay in South Africa so it will be no problem adjusting to the heat, in fact I can't wait to feel that heat again and then jump into a pool. I don't expect to have a fancy house with a pool, but 3 bedrooms is a must, we'll buy a porta pool!! Sounds like there is lots for the kids to do, so that's exciting.

We know about 4 families in Perth so I think we'll be going there a fair bit and I look forward to camping at Esperance, as we used to camp all the time in Mozambique. I am very excited to show my 2 younger ones the lifestyle that my eldest, my husband and I have been longing for and were brought up with in SA.

My husbands contract is 3 years so I think we'll move to Perth after that, by then my eldest will be ready for uni so it will be a good time to make the move. Well that's the plan, but you never know what may change.

My only worry is spiders and flies, my kids hate anything that moves so this is going to take some getting used to. Not so sure I like caterpillars either had a bad experience with them growing up!

Thanx for all the info :)

Hi

Nebosh isn't recognised in Australia at all! He has the diploma and is CMIOSH.

:(

That's rubbish, it's inetrnational!

Tell your OH to do cert iv via distance learning at TAFE (about £1000 ish) as that's what they all seem to ask for in job specs! He would pass it in his sleep if he holds the diploma!

I'm lucky in one way in that I have a recognised degree and MSc as well as 10 years in the field, but I think the Diploma is far more relevant to work H&S than most degrees I've seen, daft that it's not recognised at least as equivalent to high level vocational qualifications and experience!

Guest hollymollymoo

Hi

I know.. never mind. We have a good life here, nice house etc. My husband worked in the middle east for over twelve years and we both miss the sunshine! Our son will be leaving school this year and we thought it may be the right time to look at Australia. We thought about it a few years back and decided to let our son finish school here. Are you in oz?

Hi

I know.. never mind. We have a good life here, nice house etc. My husband worked in the middle east for over twelve years and we both miss the sunshine! Our son will be leaving school this year and we thought it may be the right time to look at Australia. We thought about it a few years back and decided to let our son finish school here. Are you in oz?

No, Not in Oz yet, We're at the start of our application journey, as I think with the new EoI format coming I've left it too late to involve an agent, It took me 4 days to get my vetassess documents together (I found my Degree certificate holding up the shortest leg of my desk!) and am doing IELTS next month to get the correct points. Hopefulyl have a positive decision back before july 1st so I can get application in before the new rules!

I've been to Oz before a few years ago and liked it, so my partners very brave in considering it sight unseen! That said, if we get a visa, we'll visit to 'validate' anyway so she can decide if we go or not, the whole job market etc. may have changed totally by then anyway!

I was looking at Nebosh but may just skip it and go straight to Cert iv if I can to get a head start if/when I get the visa! I'm sure companies like Nebosh but the visa process doesn't seem to!

all the best

x

Hi Lauren

If we had the funds for flights and shipping our belongings we would rent out our house and get there asap, but unfortunately without the sale we don't have the money to do this. My husband is the main applicant, he is an electrician, luckily the company that have sponsored him are prepared to wait for us, we keep in contact with them as often as we can and it's all good.

We have been in the UK for almost 5 years, we're originally from Richards Bay in South Africa so it will be no problem adjusting to the heat, in fact I can't wait to feel that heat again and then jump into a pool. I don't expect to have a fancy house with a pool, but 3 bedrooms is a must, we'll buy a porta pool!! Sounds like there is lots for the kids to do, so that's exciting.

We know about 4 families in Perth so I think we'll be going there a fair bit and I look forward to camping at Esperance, as we used to camp all the time in Mozambique. I am very excited to show my 2 younger ones the lifestyle that my eldest, my husband and I have been longing for and were brought up with in SA.

My husbands contract is 3 years so I think we'll move to Perth after that, by then my eldest will be ready for uni so it will be a good time to make the move. Well that's the plan, but you never know what may change.

My only worry is spiders and flies, my kids hate anything that moves so this is going to take some getting used to. Not so sure I like caterpillars either had a bad experience with them growing up!

Thanx for all the info :)

Sounds like you will enjoy it here, shame your husband's new employer won't help out with relocation expenses, have you asked them? Do you mind me asking which company it is?

There are lots of South African families here, in fact in my partner's dapertment at work there are two Brits (including him), 2 chaps from South Africa and 2 from Zimbabwe, one of which has lived here for 20 years. There is also now a South African food shop, and a Nando's has recently opened which our South African friends love!

It's great that you enjoy camping, the bush is very accessible here and it's lovely getting a trip to Esperance in. We have been here for 4 months now and haven't been yet, somehow been too busy and also waiting for our camping gear to arrive (hopefully this coming wednesday!).

Flies are annoying but nowhere near as bad as 4 years ago when it was hotter overall. I reckon this must be the coldest January for some time and it has rained much more. So the flies, especially in town, are not really noticeable. There's more in the bush. There aren't many spiders here compared to more humid parts of the country. You get the odd Huntsman in the bush (we get them at work hanging out in the core shed). Then at home the odd Red-back will make a home under your patio furniture. Mind you we never have had a Red-back, our friends get more in their yard but they just spray them now and again. They did let one off the hook though as she killed a couple of cockroaches! You'll only get caterpillars if you have white yew trees. We have two in our front yard so we get them out there. Again the bug spray usually does the trick. Just like most other places, you've got to clean food crumbs away promptly and keep on top of things.

We just got our statements through from our letting agent, on there it's apparent they had to get pest control in for rats! We never even had mice there when we lived there so not sure what's going on with that...

• 1 month later...
Just read the Kalgoorlie Miner this morning whilst having breakfast. A fabrication business has recently hired 21 workers from the UK and are bringing them over with their families! Just shows what a huge demand for skills there is here and only people with good skills and work ethics are head-hunted.

I wonder if any of these families will pop up on this forum? If so, let me know if you have any questions about Kal, happy to help!

Well another batch are coming (welders & platers) and I might be one.

Interview is in Dublin in April and there is a choice of working locations. I'm very excited.

Gavin

Archived