1 week in (any advice welcome)

stuart lawson

Hi all, Been here for 1 week now & first impressions are very good. Came over with my wife & 2 children age 6 & 2 & we had never been to victoria before & didn't no anyone here. The city is beautiful & overall victoria seems a fantstic place from what we've seen. We're currently in a short term rental & have been looking for somthing long term. Been to a few suberbs ie point cook, berwick, dandenong ranges & mornington to name but a few. Mornington is fantastic & were hoping we can locate there but will depend on work factors. I'm a carpenter & got state sponsership but I'am still looking for work & hoping to get somthing within comuting distance of mornington. My wife had a clothing alteration business back in England but is looking for anything really. So after spending the first week doing the basics ie bank accounts, medicare, tax file numbers, white card application etc its onto the big stuff. Find a job, house and get my head round the best places to buy cars - there expensive out here! So we're loving upto now but anyone with any advice would be welcome.

Would just like to thank Kate from Moving to Melbourne for all the help & guidance she has given us in recent months & in our first week can't praise her enough.

Kind Regards

Stuart & Carla

Always nice to read a happy post!

There are a couple of meets happening this Saturday (17th) one in Geelong in the evening some time ?sorry cant remember all the details so you'll need to search it) and the other is in the park at the end of Main street Mornington from midday. I'm sure they'll be plenty of people with loads of advice for you!

Good luck,

Geoff

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Stuart and Carla, lovely to see you on here. I will keep my mouth shut as I think I've talked you to death. There are a few members on here who live in Mornington who I'm sure will get in touch. Like Geoff has said there is a get together down there which would be a great place to hear what others think of where they live. Bordy (Bill) lived in Ferntree Gully and has now moved to Mornington.

i have a work contact for you, it's nearly 2am though now so I'll send it tomorrow, just give me a kick if I forget.

Guest ashmalog

There is Julie Lewis, Julie Taylor and the elliots who are in mornington too. Sorry can't remember the 2 julies sign on names. The elliots will have it, check out the Facebook page and you may find them on there.

Glad your impressions are good as it is very over whelming initially. I am in berwick and have been here for 2 years and still loving it. The Victorian weather has been a bit off this past spring but apparently jan/feb we will see it be just what we ordered.

Good luck with the job search and settling in to Aussie life, it certainly is a great way to live :)

Welcome to Vic. Its a bit cooler now but must admit I like the cooler weather at Christmas helps to have all the usual trappings on Christmas Day. The weather is usually mild and then when the children go back to school at the end of January the heat hits.

What can I say I have lived on the Peninsula for twenty five years now so I must like it and of course I do. Seen a lot of changes in that time though.

Ho My advice to you regards cars is yes they are more expensive over here especially second hand ones!! Look for a car on Gas and you will save a fortune in no time. WE only spend about £35 per week for work which is about a 40 minute drive each way so that more than reimburses you for the money spent!! We are in Brisbane about to pack up and move to Melbourne to - Hopefully Morington also.

Hi Shane, First impressions of the place are all good so far, its a big place & theres loads to see & do. The weather was great for the first 4 days or so but been a bit cooler the past few days. I quite like the variation in climate although im sure I'll be hoping for more sunshine soon. There are a lot of suberbs to choose from & you do here conflicting opinions, especially the east side - west side thing. Although I done a lot of reseach back in the UK you've really got to get out & see them in my opinion. This way you get a feel for the places & can guage wheather its a suitable location in terms of comuting etc. The only beaches I've seen so far are the one on the way to Mornington, Frankston I think & Mornington itself both are beautiful so much better than looking at the River Mersey back home. Guess that answers the question were im from Liverpool. Hope that covers what you need to no, if I can be of any help to you in terms of what I no I'm only to glad to give you any feed back that may help.

Kind Regards

Stuart

so much better than looking at the River Mersey back home.

Hahaha! I love the east bayside beachs (Did you know that Safety Beach wasn't always called that.... no one was going there so they decided 'Shark Bay' was perhaps putting people off!).

The weather is taking a while to settle down but by January we should be getting stuck into hot sunny days every day!

Geoff

Hi Mark, This is what I've learnt so far but any trades on here correct me if I'm wrong. A white card & red card are the same thing. Its a 1 day health & safety course similar to our CSCS scheme back home. The're run in many training accademies out here, I've got mine on the 21st it cost me $140. It takes about 6 hours & there's nothing to revise all information is provided on the day. Also you do need union regestration $360 per year, & apparently somthing called cbus ( redundency cover) & interlink but still clarifying this. Got talking to a Ozzy window fitter on the tram & he was given me a lot of info if anyone could clarify this cbus & interlink thing it would be a big help to me also. Any way if I can help you in any way just message me.

Kind regards

Stuart

Hi we are in the same boat been here nearly a month and loving it we have settled in seabook its about 5mins away by car to point cook centre and 10mins away from the beach at altona we love it here nice and quiet. We bought second hand cars from a dealer on old geelong road and haggled with the price cause we bought 2 and save over 4k

Guest The Pom Queen

Have emailed them to you Stuart, good luck x

Can I also say thank you for coming on here and telling members your thoughts on Melbourne, there is a lot of negative around and sometimes it can be quite daunting for those waiting to come out.

Thanks for the car advice Mylowe, been having a good look for cars on the internet today. How have you found seabrook? what is your occupation?

we were looking to move to altona/altona meadows or point cook, and it was a real estate agent who mentioned seabrook so we had a drive round to see the area. my occupation is a pork and lamb butcher so plenty of cheap meat for the BBQ lol. hope you have found car now you certainly need one to get around.