How good is Oz TV

derham

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meh. They're all pretty similar. It's just that you get used to certain styles and idiosyncrasies. Do you really want to argue that Graham Norton or Jonathan Ross represent "quality" any more than Rove McManus or Adam Hills?

I'm not saying Aussie presenters are great...just that most in the UK are equally bad.

After a few years of absorbing the cultural references I feel more at home with Aussie TV than I did when I first moved here. Indeed, some programmes (for example Gruen Transfer) have become firm favourites.

In any case, most UK programmes end up on air down here anyway if you're suffering from withdrawal.

Meh..

Guest slipshot

Another for crap Oz TV. That's why you need Foxtel for greater variety. Not saying UK TV is brilliant but it is better. By a long way.

Countless adverts and the nonsense that FTA channels cannot get the timings right is pathetic. Stuff scheduled to start a7.30pm will often start 10-15 later. And this varies too. What rubbish...

It has nothing to do with knowing the presenters etc - it's just bad stuff that the general public watch because there's less choice and it;s what they are used to. Fair enough. But it is worse than UK TV without a doubt.

And the commercials vary in quality too - some great some shocking. Still, that's what torrents were invented for...

Guest SupportPants
Imagine a life without TV, crap or not? Listening to the radio, talking to people, playing games, going out for walks, pathetic I know.

Since arriving in Oz we've rediscovered the medieval parlour game 'shove-penny-shove' , we play pooh sticks and fashion hoola hoops from bindal pods and fish bones. Who needs digital entertainment?

Since arriving in Oz we've rediscovered the medieval parlour game 'shove-penny-shove' , we play pooh sticks and fashion hoola hoops from bindal pods and fish bones. Who needs digital entertainment?

'Shove Ha'penny?' I remember my local pub - The Langley Tavern in Hants had a board. I have (or had) one at home too. What is Pooh sticks though? Didn't they play a game where they chucked sticks into the stream and then raced over to the other side of the bridge? Is that it?

One of my driving factors to move to Oz is the better climate so with the crap TV will make sure I get my lazy ass outside to do things and meet people.

I thought it was crap when I first arrived too but it's one of those things that you (should) forget about as you become acclimatized to living here. If there's something you really want to watch on 7,9, or 10 it's easier enough to tape it then fast forward through all the ads. There's plenty of good stuff on ABC and SBS with no or minimal advertising anyway.

'So, why did you come back?'

'The TV was crap, I couldn't get decent sausages, and I missed Tesco.'

I thought it was crap when I first arrived too but it's one of those things that you (should) forget about as you become acclimatized to living here. If there's something you really want to watch on 7,9, or 10 it's easier enough to tape it then fast forward through all the ads. There's plenty of good stuff on ABC and SBS with no or minimal advertising anyway.

'The TV was crap, I couldn't get decent sausages, and I missed Tesco......'

......., and the place was full of spurs supporters!

'The TV was crap, I couldn't get decent sausages, and I missed Tesco.'

I should be ok over there, hardly watch TV, not fussed about sausages and hate shopping :biglaugh:

Dave

Seems there is a lot of US programs on. I really like the Nat Geo stuff though....good amout of Aussie based stuff. I really like Outback Wrangler. Makes me want to be a Muster Pilot.

There are less adverts here than in the States. You get about 20 min of programming per 30 minutes there. It's horrid! You've got to record them and fast forward through them to keep your sanity!

Seems there is a lot of US programs on. I really like the Nat Geo stuff though....good amout of Aussie based stuff. I really like Outback Wrangler. Makes me want to be a Muster Pilot.

There are less adverts here than in the States. You get about 20 min of programming per 30 minutes there. It's horrid! You've got to record them and fast forward through them to keep your sanity!

Are th US programmes on fox?

Guest Sir Les Patterson

Well.........I spent Wednesday night in "Beautiful Manchester" . For once it wasn't raining although it had prior to our arrival but was overcast and cool (6 degrees) and quite windy.

I was a bit knackered so decided to spend my off duty time in the hotel room availing myself of a few Stellas and room service. My youngish First Officer ( 32 yo Canadian) went out unsuccessfully chasing women.

Anyway, I turned the TV on to see what was on. BBC 1, a show called "That's Britain" about tracking a letter across Britain and something about carparks...... truly riveting... I could hardly contain myself. This was followed by "Frozen Planet" which I had already seen in OZ.

On BBC 2 there was some masterchef program followed by a movie while on ITV there was soccer (UEFA cup or something) Channel 4 had some Xmas craft show on (again spellbinding) while some other channel had a show on about paramedic bikers (yawn) followed by that old classic Erin Brokovich. Needless to say I turned it off and read a book.

I am one of the first to admit that Australian commercial TV is pretty lousy......good shows spoilt by commercials.........but hey, surprise, surprise, that is why it is called COMMERCIAL television. I previously stated that I have a Topfield HD PVR. I never watch channels 9,7 or 10 live (unless it's cricket/ NRL/Union or F1).......I record it all either by using the hard drive or the time shift function.........it actually has a little yellow button for add skipping. I haven't watched a commercial for years unless I want to.

Jesus people, after my experience with pommy TV the other night never say that it is better.......it is equally as crappy as the OZ commercials.......at least here we have the saving grace of SBS and to a lesser extent the ABC

^ :plusone:

Don't understand why so many people get so misty eyed about UK TV. It's not wall-to-wall original drama (it never was, either). Most days it's the same as anywhere else - UK comedy shows of varying quality, US import series, a bit of reality and lifestyle TV, some current affairs.

I'm genuinely surprised in Oz at how much of the programming is exactly the same stuff. The only genuine difference I can make out is the commercial breaks (ignore, no biggy) and the slips in scheduling (now that is a bit irritating)

Some of it is actually better for people like me. Test matche live on FTA is a rare treat I've missed in the UK more than I realise. Highlights just ain't the same

Well.........I spent Wednesday night in "Beautiful Manchester" . For once it wasn't raining although it had prior to our arrival but was overcast and cool (6 degrees) and quite windy.

I was a bit knackered so decided to spend my off duty time in the hotel room availing myself of a few Stellas and room service. My youngish First Officer ( 32 yo Canadian) went out unsuccessfully chasing women.

Anyway, I turned the TV on to see what was on. BBC 1, a show called "That's Britain" about tracking a letter across Britain and something about carparks...... truly riveting... I could hardly contain myself. This was followed by "Frozen Planet" which I had already seen in OZ.

On BBC 2 there was some masterchef program followed by a movie while on ITV there was soccer (UEFA cup or something) Channel 4 had some Xmas craft show on (again spellbinding) while some other channel had a show on about paramedic bikers (yawn) followed by that old classic Erin Brokovich. Needless to say I turned it off and read a book.

I am one of the first to admit that Australian commercial TV is pretty lousy......good shows spoilt by commercials.........but hey, surprise, surprise, that is why it is called COMMERCIAL television. I previously stated that I have a Topfield HD PVR. I never watch channels 9,7 or 10 live (unless it's cricket/ NRL/Union or F1).......I record it all either by using the hard drive or the time shift function.........it actually has a little yellow button for add skipping. I haven't watched a commercial for years unless I want to.

Jesus people, after my experience with pommy TV the other night never say that it is better.......it is equally as crappy as the OZ commercials.......at least here we have the saving grace of SBS and to a lesser extent the ABC

Ah well if you've had one whole evening watching U.K TV you'd be in a great position to compare.

Guest Sir Les Patterson
Ah well if you've had one whole evening watching U.K TV you'd be in a great position to compare.

Ah...No, I've been in my current job for 16 years and it nominally takes me to the UK (Manchester) around 7 to 8 times per year. I tend to put the TV on when I finally get to the hotel. Mostly I don't take much notice but after seeing this thread I thought I would take particular notice. Hence my reply. Both countries do not have great TV but at least out here we have SBS which IMO is our saving grace. Besides no one forces you to watch it.

oz tv is crap

No argument at all.

But the thing is, 99% of UK TV is also crap (and we get most of that crap down here anyway--Eastenders, Corrie, The Bill, etc. etc. are all here to be avoided!).

However, if you want to talk REAL crap, check out American TV. (And we get most of THAT abomination in Aus anyway.)

Archived