Leaving house unsold

woodsy16

Hi all

I am starting to get into a bit of a panic now. I have a job offer to start work on the 4/1 and we have had the house on the market for little over a week now.

After talking to the estate agent, I had the spiel about if it's priced right it will sell, but I get the feeling she thinks I'm a weird desperate person after seeing her this afternoon and all but begging to find me a buyer.

Anyhow along with the many other things swimming in my head I am now starting to seriously consider that we might have to leave our house empty and on the market. It seems really silly to turn down a fabulous job opportunity because of the house.

I wondered if anyone had actually done this and how they found the logistics of the whole process, insurance, viewing, security etc.

Thanks

Kate

Guest Guest 47403
Hi all

I am starting to get into a bit of a panic now. I have a job offer to start work on the 4/1 and we have had the house on the market for little over a week now.

After talking to the estate agent, I had the spiel about if it's priced right it will sell, but I get the feeling she thinks I'm a weird desperate person after seeing her this afternoon and all but begging to find me a buyer.

Anyhow along with the many other things swimming in my head I am now starting to seriously consider that we might have to leave our house empty and on the market. It seems really silly to turn down a fabulous job opportunity because of the house.

I wondered if anyone had actually done this and how they found the logistics of the whole process, insurance, viewing, security etc.

Thanks

Kate

Are you in a position to rent it out could be an option.

Hey thanks both but unfortunately we are not in a position to rent as we bought our house on an open market home buy scheme. We have marketed at a lower price then most others around us and the estate agents are aware of what the lowest is that we can possibly sell it for. She just said it is basically a slow time of year, doesn't help that they have stopped advertising in the local paper over Christmas so we have had our last ad in until Jan!

I guess we will just have to keep our fingers crossed and buying those lotto tickets!

Kate

If you can't rent it out - would emigrating not be considered a mitigating excuse to do so? - Then just come out to Aussie and leave it all in the hands of the agent. Any papers to be signed will just have to be sent out to you. My house in England has been rented out for the last three years. If I decided to sell, the only reason i would go home is to organize getting all my effects out of the loft. I am sure I could just tell a removals company to pack and ship it all out here though.

We left ours empty and on the market. In our situation, renting it out wasn't an option. It was a very old cottage in the middle of the countryside and I was concerned that we may have ended up letting it to people who wouldn't take care of it. We had the house on the market from August to Feb, and just couldn't hold oh's new employers off any longer. We changed the insurance to an empty house policy and left keys with the in-laws, neighbours, the estate agent and our solicitor. It sold in the May, but we had taken the decision to also lower the price and actually ended up making a loss on it. We had a large amount of equity in it though. This was two and a half years ago, and I believe that things are even more difficult now.

I think that in the current market you have to price a house lower than you would potentially like to if you are serious about selling. Alternatively, if you are in the position to do so, let it out.

Hi Mary Rose we were considering asking the home buy people if there was anyway they would allow us to do a rental. The are not fully aware of our plans yet and as the actual scheme has finished with there council they are just gonna basically get free money on anything we make above paying off our mortgage. We were actually just talking about going to see a mortgage adviser to discuss buy to let mortgages.

LKC I dont think we could afford to take a loss on the house really well it would have to go on a credit card or be paid via direct debit and I'm not sure if my wage in Australia would support the additional costs.

I guess I have just found myself getting a bit glum as everything seemed to be working out so fabulously with the visa, job offer etc and unfortunately the grown up part of owning a home seems to have the potential to pull it all apart, I am also feeling very dramatic!

Kate

it will work out Kate. There are times when it seems all the financial institutions etc are against you, that nobody likes expats! I spent days ringing round about buy to let mortgages and landlord insurance - nobody seems interested if you are leaving the country. Then we found the likes of Barclays International and Direct Line. There are ways around everything, and you may need a financial advisor. We felt really tied down by our stupid house, but we made it - it's now let and everything's above board though we need to switch mortgage within the next year.

Believe me, when we got in the taxi to Glasgow airport all the pre-move stress started to melt away - we're here now and it's all so worth it :biggrin: