Anyone going to Sydney on a WHV in April?

Guest Bella19

Guest Bella19

Just wondering if there are many people going around the same time as me? Will be good to chat so I have other people to count down the days with! :)

Booking my flights next week! So excited!! Will be looking for a job once I get there. But as it's winter I assume there won't be as many jobs around?

I've never been to Australia before, and I don't won't to waste my visa. So want to cram in as much as possible. Any recommendations?

• 1 year later...

It will be autumn, not winter, in April, and autumn in Sydney is more like summer in Britain. It might cool down a bit in the evenings, and during the winter proper - June to August - many Sydney homes are FREEZING due to lack of insulation, double-glazing, central heating. Outside, though, it is often very pleasant, bright and sunny, up to 20 degrees. I usually swim right through the year now.

I'm not sure if there will be less jobs in winter. Sydney is not a seaside resort, subject to seasonal variations and it's possibly harder to get work during the summer when many people are on holiday. December to January is holiday time when the kids are on holiday too. The university 'fresher' / 'O' weeks will be coming up very soon with the start of the academic year. I saw that in the paper the other day!

You will probably get bar work here but need to do the 'RSA - Responsible Service of Alcohol' course - plenty of places offering that.

Making the most of your time in OZ? Stay away from other backpackers perhaps? No, that is daft advice but you could try and be a bit more original - say travel the inland routes around Australia rather than just going up or down the coast. Try and mix with some 'real' Australians, rather than spending all your time in hostels and/or with other backpackers, not that there is any 'right' or 'wrong'.

Hi Bella,

Im heading to Cairns 1st of April then making my way down to Sydney for late April/early May if your still around then?

I booked my flights and a whole bunch of stuff through STA and im flying with Cathay Pacific who come really highly recommended from friends journeys, so could be an idea to look at them when you book.

Yea Im excited too! Let the count down begin!

J

Archived