Prescriptions

Guest Guest26110

Guest Guest26110

Hi, if I were to go to Australia I would be a permanent resident from the start as I was born there.

I am currently on on-going thyroid medication. In the UK I am excempt from paying for these, as would anyone with a thyroid problem. I also have to have quarterly blood tests to check my levels.

How would I get on in Oz, would I have to pay for these tablets or would they be free, also would I have to pay for blood tests.

Any answers would be great, and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Alison

You don't really get any scripts free and unlike the UK you pay for the actually medication not the paper its written on. If you have PR and a low income you can get a Health care card which means you only pay around $5 regardless of medication type.

I have regualar bloods taken at the hospital and its free but our local blood 'shop' charges a yearly fee of around $35 to have them done.

Cal x

Guest Guest31881

You would have to pay for your prescription, I have added a link to a chemist so you can check the price of your medication.

http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/home.asp

You would also normally have to pay to see the doctor and claim back some of the cost from medicare.

Blood tests vary, a lot of path labs have started to bulk bill and then you do not pay for the blood test, that is something to be looked at when you decide where you are going for the blood test. I have monthly tests and do not pay as mine bulk bill.

If you spend over $1317 a year on prescriptions the safety net cuts in to reduce costs, here is a link about prescription costs and the safety net.

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/services/scripts/pbs.jsp#N100A1

Hi, if I were to go to Australia I would be a permanent resident from the start as I was born there.

I am currently on on-going thyroid medication. In the UK I am excempt from paying for these, as would anyone with a thyroid problem. I also have to have quarterly blood tests to check my levels.

How would I get on in Oz, would I have to pay for these tablets or would they be free, also would I have to pay for blood tests.

Any answers would be great, and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Alison

Hi Alison,

I too take thyroxine but I also don't know much about what I have to do and costs for when we arrive next May on a 176 visa. I only have to have a blood test once a year however. If we do only pay for the type of medication it should be pretty cheap to buy as I remember a doctor telling me how cheap they are to produce.

Any info you find out let me know and I will do the same for you. I have no idea how any of it works, I think I will probably take 12 months supply with me.

Lucy x

I think the maximum charge per script is $34.20 so I would say anything less is a bonus.

Asthma inhalers can be brought over the counter and cost around $6 per item.

Guest Guest31881

Maximum charge per item is around $34, but if you have medication that is not on the prescribed list it can cost a lot more. ( a hell of a lot more), if doc is giving you new medication ask if it on the prescribed list. I got caught out once, one lot of tablets cost $72, next time I asked the doc and he found some under a different name for $34. I pays to ask and make sure.

Maximum charge per item is around $34, but if you have medication that is not on the prescribed list it can cost a lot more. ( a hell of a lot more), if doc is giving you new medication ask if it on the prescribed list. I got caught out once, one lot of tablets cost $72, next time I asked the doc and he found some under a different name for $34. I pays to ask and make sure.

My antibiotics were $24 but my ear drops were $42 as they are new. I don't mind because it cleared up the problem better than the cheaper ear drops I was prescribed last time.

Guest SupportPants

You can get ventolin inhalers without prescription? I haven't found that. My asthma inhaler costs about 17 bucks and then the $20 for the doctors appointment that isn't refunded.

Guest The Pom Queen
You can get ventolin inhalers without prescription? I haven't found that. My asthma inhaler costs about 17 bucks and then the $20 for the doctors appointment that isn't refunded.

You can buy the blue ventolin inhalers over the counter in Victoria si I would presume its the same in Queensland

Archived