Shipping ~ Is this a good price??

cartertucker

We're being quoted around £1400 for around 200 cubic feet, so sounds good to me - all of the shippers have come back at around the same amount, the massive difference we have found is the storage cost in Oz - from $6 a week to $40 for the same amount of stuff, same time period etc, but the actual groupage shipping bit all is much of a muchness at the moment for us.

HTH :)

Im getting really stressed with this shipping business

What to take, what not to take??? :confused:

Does this price sound good? .......£1051.00 for 160 cubic feet

hi mate

i know how you are feeling we have just gone through the same thing, we decided if we can live without it for 10weeks then we will ship it if its no then we got rid. which company has given you the quote we have used masons who have quoted us £2100 for 446qf

hi mate

i know how you are feeling we have just gone through the same thing, we decided if we can live without it for 10weeks then we will ship it if its no then we got rid. which company has given you the quote we have used masons who have quoted us £2100 for 446qf

Crown quoted me the above, but have also had similair quote from John Mason for £1025 (but think they say its for 190 cubic feet?) :confused:

Yes, I was quoted 6.10 pounds per cubic meter, and that didnt include packing it

or collecting it

BTW, we are taking everything, even the car, its all got to fit in a 40Ft high cube, if it doesnt its going in the skip, the cost of new furniture V what you get for selling secondhand furniture doesnt add up, we paid 2000 quid for a dining room set 2 years ago, now its worth nothing, but the cost of buying again in Aus will be a lot more, do that calculation a few times with all your furniture and its well worth packing it all in a container and waiting 10 weeks, we paying close on 8K for the container, you wont be able to buy a lot of new furniture for 8K in Aus :twitcy:

BTW, we are taking everything, even the car, its all got to fit in a 40Ft high cube, if it doesnt its going in the skip, the cost of new furniture V what you get for selling secondhand furniture doesnt add up, we paid 2000 quid for a dining room set 2 years ago, now its worth nothing, but the cost of buying again in Aus will be a lot more, do that calculation a few times with all your furniture and its well worth packing it all in a container and waiting 10 weeks, we paying close on 8K for the container, you wont be able to buy a lot of new furniture for 8K in Aus :twitcy:

Imho it depends on where you are shopping and what sort of furniture - when you cost out shipping (and for us storing) our (admitedly pants IKEA and second hand) stuff against buying it again from IKEA, fantastic furniture, gumtree and garage sales it works out so much cheaper to just buy it in Oz. If you have anything nice its worth taking it, without question, but if you're just starting out (or only just started out as it were) in the UK and don't have stuff that costs, do some online research (to your personal preferences, as we all like different stuff) into what its going to cost. As I say, for us its a no brainer, plus I get to go shopping for lovely new stuff when we get to Oz - double bonus :biglaugh:

Guest leccyman

hi there,

we have ummm'd and ahh'd about whether to ship the whole house or not...! At the moment we are thinking of just taking a few boxes worth of stuff - tools, bikes and personal items that we want/can't be replaced.

We have had a variety of quotes:

£785 J Mason for 144 cu ft

£1671 PSS for 300 cu ft

£885 Excess Baggage Co for 141 cu ft

I'm not sure how PSS got it to 300 cu ft as we told each company the same list of items. I think we will now be asking the JM and PSS to come again to look at our pile of stuff and requote now that we have got rid of lots of junk.

The decision not to ship everything for us is based on us not having that much expensive furniture, the appliances we've got are going on 8 years old, and the bedroom furniture would not be coming with us as the kids have outgrown their little beds and small wardrobes plus ours are built in.

We have done lots of costings for every which option, and as Positive Pixie says, we have researched where/what to buy when we get to SA and for a small difference in cost between shipping and buying everything again it was not worth it for us.

I can fully understand Druid though taking theirs because of the price they've paid for what is no doubt good quality stuff. Unfortunately, ours is old and about to expire!

Archived