Melbourne Smells (Part 2)

blobby1000

Regular visitors to this site will surely recall my now, clearly iconic thread, "Melbourne smells" written back in April 2011, 6 months into this move of ours to Melbourne. Thank you all for your contributions.

Well, we have continued in Australia, we have not given up and in 2 days we will make a move down to Torquay, we have found a wonderful house and we absolutely love the town and the area surrounding it.

It's a bold move as it will leave me with a 90 minute commute to work, and my wife with a 60 minute commute twice a week, but I am confident I will find something in Geelong soon.

It's like our move out here 12 months ago all over again. It will be totally different to this last 12 months, but I must say there is a lot to be said for not giving up. We were desperate to escape suburbia and felt trapped in our rental contract and work, but we just carried on and found a few things we enjoyed and just kept doing them. We are so glad we didnt just give up and go home.

The message is, really, that it can be hard when you first get here, maybe not what you hoped for. But it's important to spend the first year finding what you want and where you want to live. Its unlikely the first place you land will give you everything you dreamed of.

We now are permanent residents and we are off to get what we came here for.

Good luck to anyone just starting out over here from the UK and make sure you keep at it as you will find what you are looking for in the end I am sure!!

Glad you have found a new home despite the commute but there should be work around Geelong for you. Lovely part of the State and sea sun and sand.

Living close to the city is not for everyone and those that love it see it as beautiful others see it as dull, grey, dirty and noisy. We are not inner city people either.

Guest juliemtaylor

Glad you have not given up on Victoria, the more I see of it the more I love it here. We too live further out of the CBD to find the place we are happy with.

Good Luck

Julie x

Hi Blobby1000,

Glad to here you have found someone to live you will feel more at home at.

When you were considering other places to live did you look at Geelong? We are still waiting for our visa but are considering Geelong even though i would commute to Melbourne CBD everyday, i was wondering if you did look at Geelong what put you off? Or was it that Torquay is more appealing?

All the best with the move.

Silver Bobby, Hi! We dont know Geelong all that well, I dont know where you live in the UK or what you are looking for here, people want different things, Im not sure we really knew what we wanted when we got here but we definitely know now we want to live away from the city in a town with its own character (ie not a suburb) and next to a beautiful beach. And its not too much to ask for here, its all available but you have to compromise on something, for us its a long commute at first.

Personally we have been to Geelong 3 times and its OK, it seems to be quite a funky sort of place with lots of live music, a bit grungy and the people are too! Quite friendly (more so than Membourne) but it has a lot of industry and no decent beach. Whenever we had days off we always seemed to end up in Torquay and it started to feel like home so it was the logical move. We picked up the keys today and driving along the esplanade I was just thinking "bloody hell we could have never lived in a place like this in England!" so that makes it worthwhile. For us, suburbia wa sno different to living in the UK, just a bit sunnier. If your gonna leave all your family and friends behind I think you have to live somewhere amazing to make it worth it. Geelong isnt amazing but see what you think. Dont worry too much about the first year, just get through it, get about, and see where you want to move to after the first 12 months, thats my advice, What visa you getting??

Archived