Functional English

TTLucian

Hello all. Not quite sure about this but here goes.

I know the DIAC has its English requirements published. I did the IELTS so its not a problem but I am concerned about the functional English requirement for my wife. We both are citizens of St. Lucia but she is a naturalized citizen. St. Lucia is a former British colony in the Caribbean and English is our official language.

One of the requirements of being a naturalized citizen of this country is fluency in the English language. I am planning to get a letter from the Ministry responsible for granting citizenship to attest to this. My wife is indeed fluent and was employed here but not for the 2 full years specified by the DIAC. She is Filipino by birth and does hold a degree from a university in the Philippines. All courses were conducted in English except for the few Filipino language courses.

Would the DIAC still require IELTS in this situation? Or would an exception be made in this case for functional English. Of course I do not want to pay that second installment.

Thanks.

Hello all. Not quite sure about this but here goes.

I know the DIAC has its English requirements published. I did the IELTS so its not a problem but I am concerned about the functional English requirement for my wife. We both are citizens of St. Lucia but she is a naturalized citizen. St. Lucia is a former British colony in the Caribbean and English is our official language.

One of the requirements of being a naturalized citizen of this country is fluency in the English language. I am planning to get a letter from the Ministry responsible for granting citizenship to attest to this. My wife is indeed fluent and was employed here but not for the 2 full years specified by the DIAC. She is Filipino by birth and does hold a degree from a university in the Philippines. All courses were conducted in English except for the few Filipino language courses.

Would the DIAC still require IELTS in this situation? Or would an exception be made in this case for functional English. Of course I do not want to pay that second installment.

Thanks.

If the registrar confirms that medium of instruction for your wife's PI degree was English, which it is for most PI degrees, then she will be OK, alternatively 5 years secondarily in English or a qualifying combination of elementary and secondary in English or an IELTS GT AVERAGE of 4.5.

Archived