Where in Melbourne?

gaunty

Hi All

Hoping we can get some advice. After 9 years in the planning we were granted our SS visa in August (:)) and we're flying out for the activation in March next year. We'll be staying for nearly 2 weeks, looking for areas, schools, work, etc.

We're looking for advice for an area to stay in. We've both visited Melbourne before but not for 10 years and the trip will be combined holiday and reccie. I'm a General plumber (gas option) and intend on working unpaid for anyone who'll take me for a day or two to see what it's like. My wife is a solicitor and will eventually be working. Also, we're really big on the beach thing and I'd like a quick surf every morning, without having to drive for hours!

We've got two little ones of 5 and 2 years who love charging around a beach, and were thinking of getting a self catering flat/ small cottage in Portsea/ Sorrento/ St Andrews Beach area.

Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Regards

Gaunty

Hi All

Hoping we can get some advice. After 9 years in the planning we were granted our SS visa in August (:)) and we're flying out for the activation in March next year. We'll be staying for nearly 2 weeks, looking for areas, schools, work, etc.

We're looking for advice for an area to stay in. We've both visited Melbourne before but not for 10 years and the trip will be combined holiday and reccie. I'm a General plumber (gas option) and intend on working unpaid for anyone who'll take me for a day or two to see what it's like. My wife is a solicitor and will eventually be working. Also, we're really big on the beach thing and I'd like a quick surf every morning, without having to drive for hours!

We've got two little ones of 5 and 2 years who love charging around a beach, and were thinking of getting a self catering flat/ small cottage in Portsea/ Sorrento/ St Andrews Beach area.

Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Regards

Gaunty

Hey Gaunty

We are hopefully heading out in jan so can have a look if you like as we will be looking at all areas before we decide where to stay. Also my OH is a Plumber so by then he may have some contacts if you are needing x

As you have been before you will know that the areas you are considering for holiday are a long way from the big smoke so you would have quite a drive to look at other areas around Melbourne.

May be better to forego the surfing and have something more central to areas you may find work in.

Holiday only the areas you have mentioned are great, retirement country.

Hi,

We were there in Feb this year for a week doing a reccie and stayed in Mount Martha which was lovely. We stayed in an apartment which I'm not sure is still being let as an apartment as the owner was selling. If you google 'apartment 119, in mount Martha it might still be there. We visited Sorrento which was lovely but decided that Mount Eliza would be the place we wanted to live in. We are now moving to canberra but know one day we will be in mount Eliza. We spent a week travelling all around Melbourne so please let me know if you have any questions as I might be able to help you.

Richard

Hi Paul,

We drove down to Sorrento from Mt Martha and it took about 30-40 mins as its quite slow along the Coastal road - well worth it when you get there though. I must say it's a lovely place and one of my favorite places I've ever visited and will be a regular place I'll visit when I'm permanently there.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Hiya

We went out a couple of years ago, back in England now, long story ..... but we did go and stay in Rosebud and Mount Martha which are down on the mornington peninsula. Have to say Mount Martha was my favourite, brilliant beaches but maybe not for surfing as its in a bay. Down towards Sorrento where the ferry is looked much bigger waves but it is fairly quiet down there, not sure if its what you want. We actually went to live in Clifton Springs, just outside Geelong and the best surfing was around Ocean Grove. Geelong was around 1 hour from Melbourne, roads weren't too busy.

Hope this helps.:jiggy:

Guest MM2Melb

Congratulations on the visa! :-)

Maybe it might be worth considering Geelong to live and/or work? I don't know much about employment there as compared to Melbourne but it is a city which should have opportunities but is also in good reach of Torquay/Bells Beach and the Surf coast.

Gaunty please please don't "forgo the surfing" in order to live nearer the "big smoke" !!

A surf in the mornings is exactly what life here should be all about! Its why we came and we have found ourselves stuck in suburbia for a year and almost gone insane.

You are a plumber, you can work anywhere.

Although the surf beaches of Portsea and around are fantastic, I would recommend you look at Geelong (not to live) but as your main big town and try and live in one of the towns near there, there are many. You mention Ocean Grove (which is great) but there is also Torquay, Anglesea and numerous other towns along the Great Ocean Road.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course, but you cant just "forgo the surfing" that's surely one of the major reasons you are coming and your kids will love the beach, there is no need whatsoever to be within easy reach of Melbourne.

Incidently we are moving to Torquay in 2 days!!

Hi Blobby

Yep- I'm not moving to the other side of the planet to not live by the sea :wink:. Here I've got a 2.5 drive to jump in the sea, after constantly checking the forecast, and in a couple of months I've got to wear 5mm of neoprene (with hood, boots and gloves), after saving up my Brownie Points to get the time signed off by the CEO. Add on the cost of the diesel. At worst I'm looking at 3mm all year without it being an all day experience (although I wish it could be!) and a half hour drive. Yep there are some 'bitey' things but the probabilities are pretty low :biggrin:.

Gaunty.

Gaunty please please don't "forgo the surfing" in order to live nearer the "big smoke" !!

A surf in the mornings is exactly what life here should be all about! Its why we came and we have found ourselves stuck in suburbia for a year and almost gone insane.

You are a plumber, you can work anywhere.

Although the surf beaches of Portsea and around are fantastic, I would recommend you look at Geelong (not to live) but as your main big town and try and live in one of the towns near there, there are many. You mention Ocean Grove (which is great) but there is also Torquay, Anglesea and numerous other towns along the Great Ocean Road.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course, but you cant just "forgo the surfing" that's surely one of the major reasons you are coming and your kids will love the beach, there is no need whatsoever to be within easy reach of Melbourne.

Incidently we are moving to Torquay in 2 days!!

with all due respect, we looked at Torquay and found it wasn't for us: loads of soulless (and shockingly ugly) new houses on endless sprawling new estates. It gets cold and dark in winter and going to the beach is the last thing on most people's minds, so it made the idea of an hourlong commute each day a bit silly. I work in Geelong and have a 10 minute commute. Geelong has a helluva lot more going for it than Torquay or OG, which are great beaches for sure, but a bit one dimensional as places to live, IMHO.

We're all different, eh?

Gaunty you should live in Torquay, Im gonna have a 1 minute walk to the beach in about 12 hours time after we move tomorrow! The only sharks round here in Victoria are Great Whites, no Tiger sharks or Bull sharks so no worries as they say!!!!!!

Harpodom, yes we are all different, it just depends what you like. There are indeed a lot of crappy houses in Torquay, all of Fischer Street are old and smelly looking, but we have found a lovely house and they are there if you look around, but you would have to love the beach to live there as that is the main source of entertainment, but we will have Geelong close by if we need a bit more life (which we wont!).

Gaunty you should live in Torquay, Im gonna have a 1 minute walk to the beach in about 12 hours time after we move tomorrow! The only sharks round here in Victoria are Great Whites, no Tiger sharks or Bull sharks so no worries as they say!!!!!!

Harpodom, yes we are all different, it just depends what you like. There are indeed a lot of crappy houses in Torquay, all of Fischer Street are old and smelly looking, but we have found a lovely house and they are there if you look around, but you would have to love the beach to live there as that is the main source of entertainment, but we will have Geelong close by if we need a bit more life (which we wont!).

Fair dos and good luck with the move. Might see you in geelong? You know, in July when it's 11 degrees, howling a gale, horizontal rain, and black clouds as far as the eye can see? :wink:

Archived