Karratha here we come

Madasacutsnake

Hi everyone,

I just though I'd drop in post as I'm a long time lurker.

Myself and young family have been in Geelong for the last 2.5 years however an oppportunity to transfer with work to Karratha has come up and for various reasons we have decided to give it a go.

If anyone on here has any insights on the town and surrounding area it would be great to hear them.

Cheers

Hi everyone,

I just though I'd drop in post as I'm a long time lurker.

Myself and young family have been in Geelong for the last 2.5 years however an oppportunity to transfer with work to Karratha has come up and for various reasons we have decided to give it a go.

If anyone on here has any insights on the town and surrounding area it would be great to hear them.

Cheers

G'day mate, good onya for having a go.icon14.gif

It is flat, red and hot and has winter rains...and expensive...But, oh, the fishing off the Burrup Peninsula!!!:hug:

If you get the chance, go to the Burrup Peninsula and see the petroglyphs that were collected from the 'Tank Farm' site. These are about 17,000 years old.

http://www.pilbaracoast.com/attractions/burrup-peninsula

http://standupfortheburrup.com/Burrup.aspx

Yes, I helped build that tank farm in 1981...:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks for the encouragement and tips Bobj the area certainly has a rich history indicating there is more to it, than firstmeets the eye.

Well, when I first went there in 1964, neither Karratha nor Dampier existed. Karratha Station was a cattle/sheep property, some 20 odd kilometres south of the present town of that name.

If you have any interest in geology, or nature, you will have your fill. But don't expect wall to wall nightclubs and the like.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest disneymumcork
Well, when I first went there in 1964, neither Karratha nor Dampier existed. Karratha Station was a cattle/sheep property, some 20 odd kilometres south of the present town of that name.

If you have any interest in geology, or nature, you will have your fill. But don't expect wall to wall nightclubs and the like.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi Bobj,

You are the first really positive person I've met(??...read) about Karratha etc. Keep the info coming! :)

DM

Hi Bobj,

You are the first really positive person I've met(??...read) about Karratha etc. Keep the info coming! :)

DM

Thanks for that, Corky. Always positive icon14.gif.

Plenty of good places to visit:

Just out of Karratha is an old goldmine at Cleaverville. It is literally on the sea shore.

Python Pool

http://www.exploroz.com/Places/76507/WA/Python_Pool.aspx

Milstream and the Chichester National Park

http://www.australiasnorthwest.com/Destinations_of_the_North_West/The_Pilbara/Millstream_Chichester_National_Park

The mighty Pilbara is well worth visiting, BUT, it can be hot, dry and dusty after the winter rains.

Bugga, nearly talked myself into another trip...:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Keep the info coming on the area.

I have a few workmates currently in the Pilbara on a FIFO basis most of them are positive about our relocation to Karratha. We plan to make the most of the wilderness fishing and camping and exploring the historical side to the area.

I have a few 2 week trips to do before we move there so that will help us get set-up with a house and a school for the kids.

We have enjoyed Victoria but this is a new chapter in our life and a unique opportunity.

• 4 weeks later...
Quick update,

We have now secured a rental property in karratha and will be in town around 10-12th Jan 2012:eek:

Now I need to buy the obligatory boat!

Good one, mate.icon14.gif

If you can, get out to Watering and Cowry Coves on the Burrup Peninsula...Mind blowing fishing action. The 2 coves opposite the red marker...

http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/Pages/Attraction.aspx?n=Burrup_Peninsula&pid=9001018

At the top one, Watering Cove, there is/was a rock pool that is safe to swim in when the tide goes out...Might have silted up since the 1980s.:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Good one, mate.icon14.gif

If you can, get out to Watering and Cowry Coves on the Burrup Peninsula...Mind blowing fishing action. The 2 coves opposite the red marker...

http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/Pages/Attraction.aspx?n=Burrup_Peninsula&pid=9001018

At the top one, Watering Cove, there is/was a rock pool that is safe to swim in when the tide goes out...Might have silted up since the 1980s.:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks Bobj,

We are going to take up fishing when we get up there as it would be rude not to with the quality on offer.

• 1 month later...
Guest Taffinoz

Hey...we did Karachi for 5 years...

Try our (my) vids on youtube...

Not the greatest...I'm no Spielberg, but hey what the hell!

Guest Taffinoz

Karratha's a top location...get the 4x4 and the boat +trailer and it's a fisher's paradise...

Hope your company's paying for the rental...it's >$2k per week for a decent 4x2

We had a ball...it's growing and it's not a dingy mining town any more...good shopping, off-roading, fishing, swimming and community spirit...

Hmm...I may even head back one day...!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! How has your move to Karratha panned out?I saw you arrived about two weeks ago.Hope it goes well.We arrive in 2 weeks and I have no idea which school to try get my son into.You mentioned you have a young family.Any school goers yet? thanks

Hi

Congrats on your move :) Just wondered if you had any info on Onslow? There is a possibility of myself getting an employer sponsored visa there and dont know a whole lot about the area..schools,shops,renting,chemists,hospitals etc...

We are coming for Co.Dublin so well used to lots of amenities etc nearby..I have 2 daughters one 1 is nearly 6yrs and the other is 2months old. I will have to stay with this company for 4yrs as part of the visa then I am free to move throughout Oz,would love to get nearer to Perth( not too close though)!

Any advice or info you may have would be greatly welcomed again congrats with your move hope all goes well for you :smile:

There's not a lot in Onslow, quite isolated, if your used to having everything on your doorstep I think you might struggle living there, it has the essentials but thats it. But if your up for an adventure and don't mind going without the little things in life, like cinemas, and high street shopping etc. then you'll be ok.

Thanks Tisme :)

Really dont know what to do,plus side only have to stay with the job for 4yrs then free to go anywhere in Australia downside bloody bricking it!!! I'm afraid there wont be enough for the kids and that I'll end up giving up and leave when if I'm honest its a dream to get to Oz so its 50/50..ah well onwards and upwards :)

We are settled in Karratha now, well as settled as you can be after 3 weeks! The kids started school yesterday (Millers Well) and had an enjoyable first day which gives us a little comfort after moving them from the stunning Surf Coast in Victoria. I reckon Ktown is what you make of it I've been in worse places and you can build a good life here if you take the correct approach.

Heidi1 word on the street is that the primary schools are a much of a muchness so I can't recommend one over the other I'm afraid. The schools are also zoned so the decision will probably be made for you.

I can't add anything about Onslow.

Good clips Taff!

Archived