summer holidays & enrolling kids to school

kirra

MM2Melb

Oh no - that e-mail is bound to get you stressed. I hope the others are right about you getting a place if you are in the catchment area. It's so hard though sorting it from so far away but it would be a very big issue off your mind if it was sorted in advance. Good luck - I hope you make some progress with it soon. Weekends can seem very frustrating when you are waiting for responses ... let us know if ou hear back from them about catchment zones.

Guest MM2Melb

So true about weekends! I got her message on Thursday night, and stayed up v late worrying etc and by the time I sent off any response was next morning at nearly 7am... I was sure by that stage that the Australian weekend would have kicked in so it would be at least Monday before we would hear anything. Anyway, strangely it looks like there was a response on Friday:

If you moved into the PHSC zone, your child would be in an oversized classroom, *this*is an undesirable situation for your child and for the school.***I am not sure when this situation will be resolved.*

So ultimately it looks like the info about zones was right & applies in this case... in fact their own website says that students living in the zone are entitled to enrol. The idea of these emails is just to be as discouraging as possible! It is strange because she previously promised a place and said she would keep one as she knew we were moving into the zone.

Anyway, shame there is not more and better info (on the Victorian side, QLD look like they provided good info) to help parents moving from overseas with this.

Archived