Letting agent fees

Guest jamesforde

Guest jamesforde

Hi there

Moving to Brisbane in a couple of weeks and was wondering what I can expect to pay in terms of admin fees when using a letting agent?

Thanks!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi, I am not sure what you mean, if you are renting then you won't pay any admin fees these will be paid by the property owner.

It's true! Unlike in the Uk where you pay a fee to the estate agent (depending on which agent you use the figure might be different - we paid £80 a couple of years ago in London) it's completely free in Australia. So that's one good thing about flat hunting Down Under.

The only downside is that you have to turn up at a so called viewing to rent a flat or a house, which does usually take place on a Saturday morning (most often very early when you would actually still want to sleep), or sometime during the day in the middle of the week (where nobdoy really has time to go to a viewing).

But without having attended such a viewing you cannot "apply" for the flat.

Also, these viewings are in a way that 2 to 102 people might turn up, depending on the price, the location, and the property as such. - Which also means 2 to 102 people might be interested in the flat you would like to apply for as well.

So main aim is to be quick in applying and to be super nice to the estate agent who organises the viewing. It worked in our case...

Guest jamesforde

Many thanks all - much appreciated! Yes I was just wondering if it worked like the UK (where my partner and I have actually paid up to £150 to letting agents in 'admin fees' - aka printing out a contract...) so good to hear!

Also thanks for the extra info :)

You are welcome.:wubclub:

When you start flathunting don't forget to have all documentation ready as it will make your life much easier (you will need referees which can be contacted quickly, preferably someone in Oz, copies of passports, and if you have them, copies of older bills from the UK, some bank statement preferably from Oz which shows you can pay the rent).

Guest VickyMel
As a landlord I pay 7.5% of the rent weekly, plus a letting fee of about $400, plus advertising. As a tenant you don't have to pay any of this.

Just to add to this if you break your lease early then you become liable for

1) re-advertising the property (I was told about $70)

2) any rent while the property is vacant

and

3) the remainder of the letting fee (whether it is re-let of not)

In our case I was told the letting fee would be a proportion of our total letting fee which in our case was $800 - so $66.66 for each of the months remaining on the lease. We do not pay a letting fee - this only comes into play if we leave early.

Archived