Packing in progress as I type :o)

paisleylass

Kilmarnock Removals turned up just before 9 and have made great progress - most of the packing is done now! Couple of hiccups which were my fault - a manky rug got packed but was v easily unpacked, and I'd left my wee toolbox in the living room from taking a table apart, and needed it for the bed, and it was packed by the time I went for it! Managed to retrieve it easily though. We are supervising a bit less now, hopefully there won't be any surprises at the other end.

Pub later I think - stayed up until 2 this morning and up at 7!

And they've gone - 2 hours ago in fact! We still have a sofa to sit on and a bed to sleep on, but no telly so will be entertaining ourselves with iPlayer for the next 2 weeks.

65 boxes/items in all which I suppose is a relatively small shipment.

And I cried a bit when the lorry left! It's a weird feeling seeing most of your possessions disappear like that, not to be seen for several weeks.

We have finished work so have nearly 2 weeks of relative freedom now! Just slept on the old, less comfy double after being used to a king bed - it wasn't bad, slept like a baby but I was shattered! Still have the sofa but that's going on gumtree so may have to bring in the camp chairs if it sells heheh. The lamp table is an upturned box. It's like being a student again!

We're away 5 nights from next Tuesday so only really have 8 more nights in this house. Still lots of unwanted stuff to get rid of, and a few jobs in the house to finish, so that'll keep us busy. It's so much easier with so little furniture!

We've got all we need to get by - shipped the nice new cutlery we got as a wedding pressie and just using the old stuff, crockery is rubbish (only 3 of 6 plates left and all chipped!) so will chuck it when we go. Kettle broke a while ago, just boiling a pan up now, we hardly ever have hot drinks - mainly used kettle to boil water for pasta!

Basically anything that's been wanting an upgrade has been left, we only shipped the really good stuff, which left plenty to get on with :o)

Another thing to bear in mind is whether you'll need to buy new stuff to get by until the container turns up. The likes of Target sell home starter sets of cheapo pans, plates etc so if your stuff is really nice I'd ship it and get cheap junk for short term. You could borrow from family/friends until you go. We're mixed on that - as crockery needed replacing anyway we'll buy a nice set when we arrive, but will just get rubbish bendy cutlery to last until we get our shipment.

Thanks for the advice. We will be staying with the in laws when we arrive in Melbourne so we will be ok. I'll have to wait around 12 weeks for everything to arrive but we hope to have a place of our own by the time it does arrive. Fingers crossed! I think I'll just ship the entire lot and then have two days of takeaways before we fly out :biggrin:

That's the stuff - yep, in your circumstances just ship the lot! A couple of days on takeaways is nothing really, but living in your own home when it's been emptied out is a weird feeling.

Last night hubby said "Right, I'm putting the telly on". Doh! Then thought of putting a DVD on the laptop - er, no, the're away too! I ended up sticking on Wanted Down Under on iPlayer - the Redlands one with the ice cream guy, it was a great!

Haha that must've been weird! Your house must be all echoey now. OOoooo I love a bit of Wanted Down Under! Are you selling your place or renting it? I'm very lucky as I'm signing my flat over to my parents and they are going to handle the sale of it once we have left. They are bloody diamonds!

Yeah, it is pretty echo-ey, only room still fully furnished is the bedroom as we moved in the spare bed and haven't taken wardrobes or drawers (junk again - glad we didn't upgrade them as planned when we bought new bed!).

WDU is great, I try and watch all the Brisbane & surrounding area ones but have trouble keeping up before they go off iPlayer heheh!

We are renting the house out, I just hope we don't regret it. I just can't bring myself to market the house for sale at the moment - at best, the few houses that have sold in this area in the past year have gone for £15k less than we paid. I just don't fancy leaving it sitting empty for months on end (current insurance wouldn't cover this - lord knows what extra cover you'd need for an empty property!) while we pay the mortgage and have nothing coming in :o(

We are giving hubby's mum power of attorney to facilitate a sale if the market picks up. I'd be happy to sell for what we paid either to tenants who like the house, or to another landlord as a business. I don't want to make money on it - just get back what we paid!

Aye I've been keeping a close eye on the street I live on for sale prices of flats. They have been going for quite good prices lately, higher than what I paid for mine so here's hoping we get a good price.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated when you get to Brisbane xxx

Yeah, it really varies from one area to another. Paisley is useless - oddly only houses at the higher end seem to be shifting! guess it's the lack of first time buyers :o(

Good luck yourself, I'm sure I'll be posting in reccie & arrival reports soon after we land! It'll be like a mini blog about house hunting, grocery shopping, jobs etc etc :o)

Guest boyllba

:hug:

Yeah, it is pretty echo-ey, only room still fully furnished is the bedroom as we moved in the spare bed and haven't taken wardrobes or drawers (junk again - glad we didn't upgrade them as planned when we bought new bed!).

WDU is great, I try and watch all the Brisbane & surrounding area ones but have trouble keeping up before they go off iPlayer heheh!

We are renting the house out, I just hope we don't regret it. I just can't bring myself to market the house for sale at the moment - at best, the few houses that have sold in this area in the past year have gone for £15k less than we paid. I just don't fancy leaving it sitting empty for months on end (current insurance wouldn't cover this - lord knows what extra cover you'd need for an empty property!) while we pay the mortgage and have nothing coming in :o(

We are giving hubby's mum power of attorney to facilitate a sale if the market picks up. I'd be happy to sell for what we paid either to tenants who like the house, or to another landlord as a business. I don't want to make money on it - just get back what we paid!

Hi Paisleylass, we are from Erskine and have had plenty of interest in our property but the main problem is when the folks view they love it but haven't sold their own homes, so catch 22.

All the best with your move and hopefully we won't be too far behind you to Perth. I'll look forward to your updates when you arrive.

:hug:

Hi Paisleylass, we are from Erskine and have had plenty of interest in our property but the main problem is when the folks view they love it but haven't sold their own homes, so catch 22.

All the best with your move and hopefully we won't be too far behind you to Perth. I'll look forward to your updates when you arrive.

Agh, nightmare! I've noticed when houses have sold they've taken a while to complete, probably due to this chain issue. TBH I'm so sick of this place I just want out now and while I'd have loved to have got shot of the house, renting out seems the lesser of two evils!

Wanna get on that plane and forget about all this stress soon! Have fun traveling to Perth :biggrin:

Archived