When do International Check-in Desks open at Sydney?

fleabo

My folks are on an Emirates flight out of Sydney to Dubai at 6am this weekend. Has anyone flown on this flight and if so, when do the check-in desks open?

Silly question I know. The website says 2.5 hours before scheduled departure but I cannot imagine the desks being open at 3:30am. My thinking is coloured by an experience of getting a 6am flight out of Edinburgh with KLM once. We turned up at 4:30am as requested, but the check-in gals rocked up at 5am. (I know it is only half an hour extra in bed but it all helps!)

Thanks.

EVery time I see the word 'Emirates' I think YUK - Arsenal - UGH! But I did do a Google search and see you can check in on line up to 24 hours before the flight?

You would want to be there at least an hour before it departs as even in the middle of the night you could have a breakdown?

I cannot believe that Sydney airport would change its flight departures procedures just because it's an early flight, surely?

If you do that on line check in the times might be on the boarding pass? BUT ring the airline!

I did copy the tel number but now I've lost it again! Sorry.

ps - staying a night at one of the airport hotels might be nicer for them?

For anyone interested. The flight is at 6am with boarding scheluded for 5:15am. Check in was open when we arrived at 4:15am but immigration and security did not open until 4:30am. Everything else was closed in the terminal building - it sure is a lonely place once you have said your goodbyes to your departing loved ones and make your way back to the car-park.

Saying goodbye to loved ones does not exactly enhance the feelings of loneliness either. After they've gone you can almost grieve.

Yes - almost grief is a good way to describe it.

Today's farewells were much harder than those we made a year ago when we left the UK.

Yes - almost grief is a good way to describe it.

Today's farewells were much harder than those we made a year ago when we left the UK.

From the very moment that I landed at Heathrow, I'd be thinking about saying goodbye in six or eight weeks. The last two or three days stopped being fun. My Mum and Dad used to say goodbye at the entrance to the airport rather than drawing things out to the last minute by the gates through to Customs.

Nearly twenty years on, I still feel angry because, on one of their trips to Sydney, I spent the last few days working back rather than rushing home to see them.

From the very moment that I landed at Heathrow, I'd be thinking about saying goodbye in six or eight weeks. The last two or three days stopped being fun. My Mum and Dad used to say goodbye at the entrance to the airport rather than drawing things out to the last minute by the gates through to Customs.

Nearly twenty years on, I still feel angry because, on one of their trips to Sydney, I spent the last few days working back rather than rushing home to see them.

My folks mentioned getting a cab to the airport and saying goodbyes at home. I would rather associate sad times with the airport departure gate than my own home, so that idea was quickly put to bed.

I think that is why they perputually update the entrance to departures at Sydney - it never looks the same twice - to avoid bad associations!

We got up at 3:15am, kids and all, to take them. Its the last chance you get to something for them for a while!

I had the good fortune to take time off work whilst they were here and took some early marks during the last week. My take on it is that the work is not going to go away, but my folks were.

I feel on the up today though. Its a nice day in Sydney which helps.

Just to keep on thread, their flight from Sydney to Dubai was only a quarter full in economy. I hope for Emirates sake, business class was full.

My folks mentioned getting a cab to the airport and saying goodbyes at home. I would rather associate sad times with the airport departure gate than my own home, so that idea was quickly put to bed.

I think that is why they perputually update the entrance to departures at Sydney - it never looks the same twice - to avoid bad associations!

We got up at 3:15am, kids and all, to take them. Its the last chance you get to something for them for a while!

I had the good fortune to take time off work whilst they were here and took some early marks during the last week. My take on it is that the work is not going to go away, but my folks were.

I feel on the up today though. Its a nice day in Sydney which helps.

Just to keep on thread, their flight from Sydney to Dubai was only a quarter full in economy. I hope for Emirates sake, business class was full.

I empathise with you and your experiences bring back memories of the times my parents came out here - looking at the clock at various times and wondering where they were for instance.

When I was living in England, my brother came over from the US for a few months and when he went back it was awful. I'd got used to having him there, going for walks with him, over the pub with him. I can remember lingering at Heathrow trying to catch a last glimpse of him.

Another time, on his last day I'd found a blackbird's nest with eggs in it. After he left the next day, I went back and the eggs were gone too. Talk about a double whammy!

Once you've got over the first couple of days, it does not seem so bad does it?

Reading your post and the memories it prompted in my own life inspired me to try and write a page. I keep meaning to send something in to The Herald or The Aussie as they both print readers' experiences in whatever subject they want to write about.

I empathise with you and your experiences bring back memories of the times my parents came out here - looking at the clock at various times and wondering where they were for instance.

When I was living in England, my brother came over from the US for a few months and when he went back it was awful. I'd got used to having him there, going for walks with him, over the pub with him. I can remember lingering at Heathrow trying to catch a last glimpse of him.

Another time, on his last day I'd found a blackbird's nest with eggs in it. After he left the next day, I went back and the eggs were gone too. Talk about a double whammy!

Once you've got over the first couple of days, it does not seem so bad does it?

So true - I can relate to all you say. I guess many of us share similar experiences.

Reading your post and the memories it prompted in my own life inspired me to try and write a page. I keep meaning to send something in to The Herald or The Aussie as they both print readers' experiences in whatever subject they want to write about.

Good luck with that.

Archived