The Final Countdown

runslikeafish

Hi all, I've not been on here as much as normal over the last few weeks. To say it's been a bit hectic would be an understatement!

Anyway, there are less than 3 weeks to go before we arrive in Hobart :jiggy: as I'm sure a lot of you know from experience it's a scary and emotional time. I'm regularly wondering if we're doing the right thing (although of course we are!) - I've come to the conclusion that to do something great you need to go outside of your comfort zone. ...and we're certainly outside of ours! :biggrin:

So, I just thought I'd post an update. I'm thinking of starting a blog where I'll post things that may be interesting and/or useful (hopefully) to people doing a similar thing. As and when I get time to do it, I'll post a link here.

Good luck all, and looking forward to perhaps seeing some of you in Tassie.

Tim

Guest Guest 47403

Best of luck Tim hope it all goes as smoothly as posible just remember it'll be testing at times but worth it in the end mate.

Just out of interest what occupations do you and Mrs Tim have?

Thanks Baz. Good points - it definitely will be testing but it definitely will be worth it!

I'm an IT project manager although seriously considering a change of career into "something financial" and Mrs Tim is a physiotherapist. There does seem to be a reasonable amount of work around Hobart, even at the moment with economic slowdowns etc.

Guest Guest 47403
Thanks Baz. Good points - it definitely will be testing but it definitely will be worth it!

I'm an IT project manager although seriously considering a change of career into "something financial" and Mrs Tim is a physiotherapist. There does seem to be a reasonable amount of work around Hobart, even at the moment with economic slowdowns etc.

Thanks Tim I work in IT and that's probably the only reason we're holding back on committing to Tas, although like you I'm considering a career change.

Which area are you planning on heading to, decided yet?

There looks to be a reasonable amount of IT in Tassie. Nothing like Melbourne & Sydney etc of course but enough I think. There are a couple of "all round techie" type roles advertised this week in CareerOne. I've seen a few web developer roles recently too. It's worth looking out regularly at places like the government and the larger companies.

We're going to somewhere around Hobart. We totally fell in love with Hobart when we were there. As for where specifically, not sure yet. We like Kingston, Blackmans Bay, Howrah, Tranmere... the list goes on! I intend to enjoy the process of deciding!

...and in other news, Mrs runslikeafish had a telephone job interview on Weds for a mid-level physiotherapy post. She got an email this morning saying that they'd like to offer her a managerial level physiotherapy post as she did so well. To say we're delighted is an understatement!

I'm guessing that a few of you have seen the Tasmania government's DVD about emigrating there with the Engligh nurse, South African hydro engineer etc. One of the things that struck me about that is that a couple of them said that if they showed ambition/leadership qualities then they would progress quickly. I've always really liked the thought of that (being an ambitious kind of guy!) but wondered how "realistic" that was. Well today I think we have our answer! :jiggy:

Have a great day all - I've just started doing a blog (link below) so have a look if you're interested. I intend to post on the blog pretty often.

Tim

I hope you are not affected by the Quantas situation, we have friends who are ... I hate airlines ...

Fortunately we're flying with Singapore Airlines and then Jetstar so we're going to be OK. Bit of a worry though and nightmare for those flying with them. My sympathy to your friends BearRules.

...and thanks Baz - there will be lots of frequent updates when we get there. I'm looking forward to getting back to positive uplifting posts! This time tomorrow we'll be in mid-air! Woop woop! :jiggy:

Well, we're here! :) Didn't realise we arrive on Melbourne Cup day! Poor planning on our part but it wasn't really a problem.

Absolutely dog tired after about 40 hours of solid travel door to door and still pinching ourselves to check that it's real!

Anyway, I have to go now but I'll write something lengthy and descriptive later. Have a good day all

Thanks BearRules - great post! :)

Wandering around yesterday we visited (amongst other places!!) the tax offices on Collins St. Opposite there a bit down the road is the Teddy Bear Shop, I'm guessing you've already seen it, if not, check it out. The tax office is 200 Collins St so the shop would be about 175 at a guess.

Looks like another sunny day :)

...and first of many blog posts from Tassie below...

Have a great day all

Archived