Studying / Apprenticeships in Australia

Guest chucker

Guest chucker

Hi,

This is my first posting on this site. I am 34, married(wife 35), with twin sons aged 11. We are looking to emigrate to Australia but do not have the required skills at this stage.

We went to an emigrate fair at Sandown (London) in March and was advised that the best option was for one of us to study in Australia in an area where there are skills shortages and then apply for residency at the end of the 2 year course. This sounds too good to be true!. Has anybody out there been through this process?

The other option is the Trade Skills Training Visa. This is an apprenticeship scheme in regional areas of Australia where there are skills shortages. This is a new visa and I cannot seem to find and information on companies that are looking for migrants on this visa. Is there anybody that has information on this scheme?

Thanks

Steve

Guest bethandneil

hi there

i dont know about how to contact any companies about an a apprenticeship but i do know that if you or your wife agree to do a two year hairdressing course this can get you in, might not be your thing exactly but apparently oz have a huge shortage of hairdressers, it might be worthwhile getting in touch with an agent to find out, they will give you a fair amount of help for free. (Overseas emmigration are ours and i can recommend them).

Hope this helps a little, good luck

Beth. :D

Guest Stu1980

Hi ive heard of the apprentice visa. I have also heard you can get sponsored by an employer aswell for 4 years and apply for residencey after 2 years. Im 25 and have a one way ticket and working holiday visa booked for December. Im finding either an employer who is willing to sponsor me or apprenticeship. Is there anyone with any more information or have experienced this?

• 1 year later...

The Trades Skill Training Visa is great in theory, but in practice finding sponsor......problems with local councils and unions...

(You understand the perception that foreigners doing apprenticeships take opportunities from Australians.....but reality is that minimum 50% of Oz apprentices quit after one year...)

However, more traditional trades/apprenticeships are coming online for CRICOS/international students, especially Melbourne, and lesser extent now SE QLD.

Examples are automotive, air con/refrigeration, bricklaying, cabinet making and building opening in February 2008.

When the last three are open for applications after CRICOS confirmation, probably July, will post details as for now only accredited education agents of the TAFE Institute in Melbourne know about it :)

Guest Abi&Dan

Daft question time:

What's CRICOS?

The OH wants to retain and we are hoping to get him an apprentiship (orginally plumbing but now veering toward Air Con/Refrig). We have concern about going up against much younger Aussies (he'll be 29 when we move) - so if there's some kind of scheme in place to assist immigrants getting apprentiships that would be ideal.

Thanks x

Hi Abi & Dan, CRICOS stands for Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students.

Steve, You could have a look at the CRICOS website which will give you info on what courses are available for international students www.cricos.dest.gov.au and if you haven't done so already there is the aussie immigration website www.immi.gov.au which has loads of info on all the various visas along with lots of links. Very best of luck!

Lyn x

p.s. if these links dont work, google em (use aussie version for better results - google.com.au)

Guest Rachel&Stu
Hi,

This is my first posting on this site. I am 34, married(wife 35), with twin sons aged 11. We are looking to emigrate to Australia but do not have the required skills at this stage.

We went to an emigrate fair at Sandown (London) in March and was advised that the best option was for one of us to study in Australia in an area where there are skills shortages and then apply for residency at the end of the 2 year course. This sounds too good to be true!. Has anybody out there been through this process

Steve

Hello and welcome to PIO!

My hubby and daughter have both been accepted as International Students in Melbourne. There are also at least 4 other posters on PIO going down Student Visa route. It's not too good to be true, although there are costs involved. Non-Australian citizens have to pay for their own tuition. It's also risky as there is no definite automatic Permanent Residency at the end of it. However, you may feel - as we do - that it's a risk worth taking.

Feel free to ask any questions. Happy to help if I can.

Cheers,

Rachel :spinny:

Archived