Hey - Moving to Sydney from Scotland

Guest Boab88

Hey All,

I'm 23 years old Scottish guy and moving to Sydney with my Girlfriend in the coming months. We arrive in Melbourne at the end of October (She has family out there) and then will be making our way to Sydney.

I'm employed in I.T currently and will be looking for positions in Sydney (and likely have alot of questions on these boards) and my partner has just finished her Masters in Politics and will be looking for positions too.

Would be interested in meeting/chatting with any other I.T emigrants and Sydneysiders!

Hi Boab, fellow jock here, but still in Scotland for the time being... :(

I've never been to Melbourne, but I lived in Sydney around the millenium and didn't much care for it. Have you been, or are you just judging it on pics?

If you have family connections, I'd at least consider going there. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Melbourne.

Just my tuppenceworth.

Hey GoJo,

Where about in Scotland are you from? I'm from Glasgow but up working in Dundee just now. I've not been to oz since I was under 5 but we were debating between Sydney and Melbourne, I think we'll go where the jobs are, I imagine Sydney being like London where allot of them are? My girlfriend has family who live out Melbourne way and I've heard its the most "European" of the cities.

I think we're thinking Sydney as a hustle bustle city for a few years to get our careers started then possibly moving away from it once we are established.

Are you in the I.T field as well?

Boab

From the sound of your post I think you are going to fit into Sydney very well. If you are into the SPL then, assuming you go for Celtic or Rangers, coming from Glasgow? There are supporters club for both here. I just 'Googled' them for interest and Rangers meet, amongst other pubs, at the Royal Exhibition, just down the road from me, and Celtic at Cheers, maybe at other venues too. Of course, if you want EPL there are loads of venues for that too. There are plenty of people working in IT too.

I'm a weegie too Boab, but I don't work in IT.

Yeah, Melbourne apparently has the largest Greek population of any city in the world outside Athens. Never been, but as I say, I've NEVER heard a bad word about it. That's usually a good sign.

Sydney is very hustle bustle. Kinda like London right enough. Thing is, I have also lived in London and hated it too, so I suppose it depends what you're looking for. Horses for courses and all that.