Standards of Education

Guest joksand

Guest joksand

Hi

I've just been to playgroup with my youngest and had an 'interesting' conversation with one of the mums. She tells me that standards of education in Australia are much lower and teachers don't even have to be qualified!!! She said she's got family in Perth and that's how she knows.

Can't quite believe this. Is there anyone out there in the know who can put my mind at rest??

The impression I get is that school is more family focussed and more fun for the kids, but still of a good standard. Perhaps they put less pressure on the children - can't believe the homework our 5 yr old gets already - surely that's a good thing.

Any comments would much appreciated.

Bye for now

Jo

Guest rachelj

teachers do have to be qualified. and yes schools are different than here but they get good results. you can look at school websites in oz and read for yourself just use google look at an area you are looking at and find a school to look at. hope this puts your mind at rest. rach

Guest Graham&kym
teachers do have to be qualified. and yes schools are different than here but they get good results. you can look at school websites in oz and read for yourself just use google look at an area you are looking at and find a school to look at. hope this puts your mind at rest. rach

The level of Ed is UK equivalent, however formal education starts a year later, and in effect finishes a year earlier, however the finishing standard is the same as end of 'A' levels and gives entry to Uni (the TEE) hope this helps to relieve your concerns. Bottom line, the education is GOOD!:smile:

I live in perth and know that all my childrens teachers are qualified - they also get student teachers from uni. My children both love school here, it certainly feels more relaxed, hubby was surprised when he dropped the children off for school one morning, they just walk into their classrooms, not a bell and lining up in neat rows before being marched into class (like their UK school). My son yr 2, is convinced that he hasn't had a 'mental maths test' in australia yet - but when he tells me what he's been doing, he obviously has it's just been done in a very fun way, whilst in the UK it was a 'test' every week. My children are obviously learning, they both talk about school much more than the UK and the most important thing is they're happy.

~Ali

Standards do appear to be good, I was supply teaching a grade 6 class the other day. They had ICT which I thought ok, I was coordinator in my last school for this and did lots of training. Woah, these kids were way ahead of what year 6 do in the UK. They were all writing their own digital portfolios as web pages!

Teachers do have to be qualified if they work in the public system, but they do not if they work in the private schools system. That maybe what they are referring to.

Believe me, if I could have avoided the last two years studying to become a teacher I would have!!!

Daphne

Archived