Visas and Work

goingdownunder

Hello everyone. I have been reading through everyones threads the last few week and its been a great help.

Myself, husband and two girls are hoping to move out to Sydney as soon as we can. My husband works as a project manager/business analyst here for a large bank and we have been looking at the types of visas we can apply for. My husband's uncle has been living in Sydney since 1985 so we are thinking of him sponsoring us too. Does anyone work in the same industry at all? We were hoping my husband would get a job and be sponsored by the company but everything we have looked at only offers temporary contracts so this looks doubtful. The money paid isnt as much as here although we arent put off as we will gain in many more ways. We just want to make sure he will be able to get a good job as the girls are small, I wont be working for a couple of years. My husband here has permanent work and that is what we are hoping for there. Any help with info on work and visas would be great!

Firstly I am pretty sure they have scrapped family sponsor so you would need to get 176 state sponsored.

Your best bet is for your hubby to fly out and stay with his uncle and check out job prospects. Seeing people face to face will give him a good guide as to how serious a job offer may be.

Also, its worth checking all over Australia as some areas are better paid/lower living costs and more job prospects. If you wont be working for 2 yrs its a huge pressure on hubbys shoulders and Sydney isn't cheap.

Hi,

The 176 visa means skilled sponsored so you are either family sponsored or state sponsored. The 176 is still there but I am not sure you can do it via family sponsor, Im sure you can only be state or employer sponsored now (as of 1st July 2011). Worth double checking tho. Could be a temp thing while they let immigration settle.

Its quicker going state sponsored anyway and more reliable plus less papework.

Good luck.

Will family sponsored applicants still be eligible to apply for a permanent Skilled -Sponsored visa?

No. As part of the changes accompanying the introduction of the new points test, from

1 July 2011 applicants for the Skilled – Sponsored subclass 176 or 886 visa subclasses will

need to be sponsored by a state or territory government under a state migration plan.

There will no longer be a permanent family sponsored skilled migration visa however eligible

family members can still sponsor relatives under the provisional sponsored skilled migration

visa. Holders of a provisional sponsored skilled migration visa may be eligible for a Skilled

Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887) after meeting certain eligibility criteria.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-testfaq.pdf

Archived