Good cycle locations around Melbourne

ajs604

Hi all,

Does anyone know any good cycle location around the Melbourne area. My GF got me a bike for xmas last year and have hardly used it and keep promising to do some cycling at the weekend. We did a track down Williamstown once but was looking for something a bit more adventous but not too far from the city! Thanks in advance!

Guest The Pom Queen

It's the one that goes down the coast http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=google+maps+beach+road+melbourne&hl=en&client=firefox-a&gl=au&t=h&z=12&vpsrc=0

Can you get your bike down to Lysterfield, it was the site of the Commonwealth Games Mountain Biking Track in 2006, here is some info: http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/article.aspx?aeid=2287

It's absolutely lovely out there.

There is a book about our cycling paths etc, they are plentiful. Some of the bookshops have leaflets/books. Along the Eastern Freeway is another one, the track goes from the city right through the eastern region. The Beach Road is beautiful, right down the city beach suburbs, but I warn you, it is so popular that it is pretty busy at weekends, and especially as its going to be warm on the weekend, it'll be a bun fight, but well worth it.

The Beach Road - is that the one in Werribee South? Will keep an eye out for the book too many thanks! Yeah lets hope its a warm weekend - been waiting too long for the warmer weather!

Check out Kate's map, St. Kilda's the place, then it follows the beach. Follow the other million cyclists down there, and ask them, they will talk about cycling till the cows come home.

As Olly says get a copy of the book of bike paths. My oh rides all the time and we are fortunate down here on the Peninsula that it is good for bike riding. He does use the bike paths when on his mountain bike but mainly rides the roads on his road bike.

My son also rides but he lives up northern Victoria where there are some very good bike paths, one from Wangaratta up to Beechworth is a good one but would start at Beechworth if fitness is a prob as its all down hill to Wang and uphill the other way.

Bright has a great bike path which also goes to Wangaratta, these of course would be weekend away pursuits.

Melbourne has lots of bike paths and one my family do a bit is the one which goes from Carrum right up to Jells Park and into the foot hills of the Dandenongs.

In fact a guy my husband used to work with used to ride from the Dandenongs to work in Carrum along the bike path.

My brother sometimes leaves his car at Warrigal Road and takes the bike path into the city to work, however he says that path is getting like Bourke Street these days.

The Peninsula has lots of bike paths and also mountain bike paths. We have a bike path here in Somerville which goes all the way to Somers and Balnarring. Its a well used bike path as well.

Also riding along the front at Rye is a good idea.

Beach Road is for the lycra lot (oh is one of them but does not do Beach Road, little gnome I call him). They have pelatons along Beach Road and a lot ride road bikes.

Around the Bay in a Day is coming up so a lot of people will be training for that. My oh does not do it anymore he used to but too long in the tooth now.

Good luck, there are also clubs around you can join.

Thanks alot Petals and everyone else for their advice. I have been meaning to get out on the bike for ages now. Now I have been given this wealth of knowledge I no longer have any excuses. I will update you all on how I get on. St Kilda sounds very appealing for a starting point!