British Airways cheaper by far for additional baggage

pintpot

Just recounting our experiences in the hope it helps others

We have been organising our flights for our relocation in November. It's been a bit awkward because the company are doing the booking and paying, so we've had a bit of to and fro in trying to get the best result that means we can take a decent amount of luggage to tide us over until our stuff arrives

We couldn't book the "migrant fares" that some airlines offer, nor the additional migrant baggage allowances, because the booking wasn't being made from the UK nor by a migrant, but by the company from Australia. I checked and confirmed this with the airlines and they wouldn't budge

However, on research we found that of the common direct carriers the following applies

a) Emirates have the best standard allowance in economy of 30Kg

b) BA, Qantas, Virgin allow 23 Kg

c) Most of the Far Eastern airlines (I checked CP, Singapore, Malay) only allow 20Kg

More importantly, BA and Virgin were *vastly* cheaper for a pre-booked additional bag. They will both let you have one extra bag (so a further 23Kg) for £33-34 per person for the whole bag, if you book online

All other airlines that I researched - including Qantas - wanted somewhere between £500 and £700 for the same amount of additional baggage

The BA/Virgin additional baggage charges are a bit of a steal to be honest. For the three of us we've booked an extra bag each, so now have up to 46Kg each (ie 2 big bags, which is plenty even for our son's toys) for the total of only about £100 for all 3 of us

If you are struggling with balancing the luggage equation and trying to work out your flights, it's worth bearing in mind

HTH

Guest Guest31881

Have you asked the individual airlines their policy on new migrants. Singapore will allow double allowance on a new permanent visa that has not been used before. They have also on occasions given 30kg on request for people emigrating but already used visa to do a reccie. Its well worth a phone call to some of the airlines, don't take the web sites as gospel a phone call could help get extra allowance.

I did, yes, most of them weren't interested because the flight was being booked by my employer from Oz - if I were doing it myself it would have been a lot simpler

I guess I was just shocked/surprised at the price differential for additional baggage. Most airlines rip you off severely for it, not BA or Virgin - worth considering

• 5 months later...
Guest komrade

Hi,

The pre-booked additional baggage thing was GOLD for me.

Virgin allow up to 10 additional bags, thus you can take 11 bags (each 23kg - total 250kg) and 23 kg of "sports equipment". This will cost an additional £750. This worked out much cheaper than shipping, and you get to take it all on the plane with you.

Slightly tricking getting to/from the airport with 12 big bags though!

That only works though if BA is the carrier the whole journey doesn't it? If they code share the other airline isn't obliged to carry the excess free of charge as I understand it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I've just booked BA flights because of the generous additional baggage allowance (missed the cheaper prices on Virgin). My question is, if I were to bring extra 2-3 suitcases and sports equipment as listed below, would there be a problem on the other end with customs?

Apart from your clothes and basics, I'm thinking of the below:

Computer equipment: Small Base Unit, Small monitor, Hard drives (in hand luggage), Network routers

Electrical equipment: Alarm clocks, Media streamers, PS3

Extra new clothes, shoes and toiletries

Basic DIY tools: Spanners, screwdrivers, pliers

Kitchen equipment (basic cultery, maybe very small appliances such as grinders etc)

Golf set

Bike

Other sporting equipment: squash racquets, cricket bats etc.

Also, what do you do for insurance whilst your possessions leave the houe and are in temporary accommodation in Aus?

Thanks.

Hi

I've just booked BA flights because of the generous additional baggage allowance (missed the cheaper prices on Virgin). My question is, if I were to bring extra 2-3 suitcases and sports equipment as listed below, would there be a problem on the other end with customs?

Are you flying all the way through with BA? If you are not you may be a bit stuffed.

Bike and golf clubs etc fall under a specific category. You need to check the BA website for baggage allowance info on those. The bike would have to be *clean* and in a bike box, the clubs also might need a packing requirement. That sort of thing you can't take chances on.

I'd contact BA direct if you want clarification tbh.

Rajt - you would need to declare a lot of that stuff the other end also. Wood, bike will need to be clean, as will golf clubs, tools etc.

Thanks

I bought the golf clubs over from Vegas in a golf carrying bag, which I assume I can use again.

The only wood item is the cricket bat, which if it causes issues I can leave, but if it is cleaned up and packaged within clothing it is not okay?

The bike is my current commuter bike and I suppose I can clean it to a certain extent (apart from the oils on the chain!), but how clean would it need to be?

BA specify putting it in a bag or box, and I see that you can buy a CTC bike bag for transportation.

I assume the other items are fine with customs?

Ta

Thanks, this is a very useful thread for someone like me who is looking to book flights very soon! We are planning to head out at the end of May this year on a 457...

Done all the usual things like calling the airlines and trying to see if they can provide additional weight allowances (so far Emirates and Singapore said no on the phone but told me to send an email and maybe their customer services could do 'something'. We will see if they reply...)

One thing i noticed (and actually want confirmation from another person) is that Qantas have changed their excess baggage policy. Or more accurately they are going to be changing it on 2 May 2012 (according to this : http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/prepaid-additional-baggage/global/en )

Am I reading that right .... does it now mean that excess baggage can be purched in advance (after 2nd May) for $90 (~£60) per each additional bag upto 23KG??? It used to be done by weight, but now looks like it will be per item instead

If that is the case then the breakdown is:

£620 airfare (for the flights i am looking at)

23kg allocated allowance included

add on two additional bags for £120

giving a nice total weight of 69kg

Total price: £740!

Can anyone confirm (or am i reading this all wrong!?!)

thanks

Thanks, this is a very useful thread for someone like me who is looking to book flights very soon! We are planning to head out at the end of May this year on a 457...

Done all the usual things like calling the airlines and trying to see if they can provide additional weight allowances (so far Emirates and Singapore said no on the phone but told me to send an email and maybe their customer services could do 'something'. We will see if they reply...)

One thing i noticed (and actually want confirmation from another person) is that Qantas have changed their excess baggage policy. Or more accurately they are going to be changing it on 2 May 2012 (according to this : http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/prepaid-additional-baggage/global/en )

Am I reading that right .... does it now mean that excess baggage can be purched in advance (after 2nd May) for $90 (~£60) per each additional bag upto 23KG??? It used to be done by weight, but now looks like it will be per item instead

If that is the case then the breakdown is:

£620 airfare (for the flights i am looking at)

add on two additional bags for £120

giving a nice total weight of 69kg

Total price: £740!

Can anyone confirm (or am i reading this all wrong!?!)

thanks

Hi

Where are you getting a flight for £620?

Thanks

Hi

Where are you getting a flight for £620?

Thanks

Hi

Prices are from the Qantas website mate. LHR to Brisbane (via Singapore)

....however i just got off the phone with Qantas becuase I just found out about this:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/migrant/gb/en

so their website says they can do 40KG for people on a 457 visa YAAY.... what they dont tell you is that you pay for that privelige! I was getting excited becuase i assumed the 40KG came 'free' as well as a better 1-way flight price which is how that page seems to read. WRONG - I got quoted £1118 for the "special" one way flight which includes 40kg allowance. So basially you pay for the extra allowance - dont really see the point? :skeptical:

Also, the baggage allowance i put in my first post will only apply on tickets issued after 2nd May which is so damn annoying as the fares will probably be hiked up by then for my flights at the end of May. Think ill take my chances with BA (who codeshare with Qantas) and works out about the same price with their additional baggage costs (as per the first post in this thread).

on BA:

£644 airfare (for the flights i am looking at)

1st additional bag (23kg max) : £34

2nd additional bag (23kg max) : £77

giving a total weight of 69kg

Total price: £755

Just wanted to know if anyone has taken the BA + extra baggage approach (with the Qantas codeshare flight) and had any problems ?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

Prices are from the Qantas website mate. LHR to Brisbane (via Singapore)

....however i just got off the phone with Qantas becuase I just found out about this:

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/migrant/gb/en

so their website says they can do 40KG for people on a 457 visa YAAY.... what they dont tell you is that you pay for that privelige! I was getting excited becuase i assumed the 40KG came 'free' as well as a better 1-way flight price which is how that page seems to read. WRONG - I got quoted £1118 for the "special" one way flight which includes 40kg allowance. So basially you pay for the extra allowance - dont really see the point? :skeptical:

Also, the baggage allowance i put in my first post will only apply on tickets issued after 2nd May which is so damn annoying as the fares will probably be hiked up by then for my flights at the end of May. Think ill take my chances with BA (who codeshare with Qantas) and works out about the same price with their additional baggage costs (as per the first post in this thread).

on BA:

£644 airfare (for the flights i am looking at)

1st additional bag (23kg max) : £34

2nd additional bag (23kg max) : £77

giving a total weight of 69kg

Total price: £755

Just wanted to know if anyone has taken the BA + extra baggage approach (with the Qantas codeshare flight) and had any problems ?

thanks

Hello, excess baggage is a big issue for us so we're doing a similar thing: BA to Singapore then Qantas to Melbourne, but all booked/ticketed as BA. We're planning to pay for extra bags, and have them all checked through from LHR - MEL. I was a bit worried that Qantas would try to charge us extra for the SIN/MEL flight (i saw somewhere on the net that this has happened) so I emailed them. The response was:

"Dear [XXX],

Thank you for your e-mail.

As you are only transferring in Singapore it will be up to British Airways to charge your excess baggage when you check in at London Heathrow.

As you do not have to re check in again in Singapore there will be no extra charge for the onward flight.

Qantas allow 10kgs of baggage for the infant plus three additional items such as pram, cot, car seat with no extra charge . I have added a link from qantas.com for your perusal.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/checked-baggage/global/en#jump4

Regards

[XXX]

QANTAS Airways"

Hope that helps. And good luck!

I posted a thread regarding the issues I came across last week regarding baggage and airfares.

I found that the best price was with Singapore airlines £654 pp. Then i got an e-mail off them which i have printed and will take with me that states that if you have a permanent residency visa that has been unstamped you are entitled to 40Kg's pp (i.e. double baggage allowance)

Also, the baggage allowance i put in my first post will only apply on tickets issued after 2nd May which is so damn annoying as the fares will probably be hiked up by then for my flights at the end of May.

We bought our tickets a few months ago for Qantas flights in June - does this mean we can't buy the extra baggage then?

We bought our tickets a few months ago for Qantas flights in June - does this mean we can't buy the extra baggage then?

I'd always suggest contacting the airline direct if unsure and get a written confirmation (via email is fine) one way or the other. And if its good news, print it off and take it with you to the airport as proof. Don't rely only on what people post here as airlines can be tricky and things can change. Cover yourselves and contact them direct is always best. Its not worth taking chances with something like excess baggage and being stung for a fortune when you get there.

Also look into air freight which will see extra bags get to Aus a few days after you for decent price. Always worthwhile looking in to.

As above- always worth getting it in writing (which is what I did)

Qantas confirmed that I will be able to purchase excess baggage by logging into their website (7 days prior to departure date). The excess baggage will be per their new baggage policy (by item/piece, NOT by their old weight scheme)

Hope this helps

Archived