Working Holiday Visa - Finding Work in Oz

Cruz

Hi,

I'm thinking about heading over to Sydney for a few months on a working holiday visa. My Girlfriend has been over there for the past 3 weeks and has had no issues finding temp work, even though she does'nt have many qualifications.

Various people who Ive spoken to say that I should have no issues finding work over there with my qualifications, but I still have my doubts.

I have:

an NCON in Peer Mentoring.

BA (Hons) in TV and Radio.

Btec ND in Music Technology

Although I graduated in media, I have spent the past few years working as a Youth Mentor/Support worker, and kept media production as a hobbie.

I'm not too fussed what work I do out in oz, as I only plan on staying for a few months. Having said that, it would be good to find something in the media or youth/mentoring field.

So I'm unsure as to whether I should apply for a job before I get over there, (From what I can gather, some companies sort out your visa when you do this?), or just apply for the WHV, and look for work when I arrive?

Thanks for any info on this

C

Hi! It would be quite hard to get a reply from an employer from oustide the country. presuming you have some funds best thing would be to apply for the WHV and hop on over. Sounds like you have some good expereince. Would you consider migrating?

Most people of WHV find casual jobs in things such as retail, hospitatlity or agricultural work. A good place to start would be www.seek.com.au; backpackers websites http://www.backpackerjobboard.com.au/; http://www.taw.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx;. A lot of hostels also advertise jobs for backpackers. When you get here also bring an upto date copy of your CV and regsiter with some temp agenices. I got offered heaps of work on my WHV - espcially as a grad you should have no worries. Good luck mate.

There's various disability services in Sydney who always seem to be recruiting for casual support workers. I'm sure they'll have youth focused jobs. Northcott Disability Services and Cerebral Palsy Alliance spring to mind. (Northcott employed me on a WHV as a temp speech pathologist). See their websites for vacancies - but I don't think it likely you'd secure that kind of job in advance before you're over there.

The other thing I half wish I'd thought about whilst on a WHV was being a cowboy! Apparently it's hard work but really fun and WHV people do it for a few months. You sleep in stables and stuff! (I don't know how you'd find out more though).

Hi! It would be quite hard to get a reply from an employer from oustide the country. presuming you have some funds best thing would be to apply for the WHV and hop on over. Sounds like you have some good expereince. Would you consider migrating?

Most people of WHV find casual jobs in things such as retail, hospitatlity or agricultural work. A good place to start would be www.seek.com.au; backpackers websites http://www.backpackerjobboard.com.au/; http://www.taw.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx;. A lot of hostels also advertise jobs for backpackers. When you get here also bring an upto date copy of your CV and regsiter with some temp agenices. I got offered heaps of work on my WHV - espcially as a grad you should have no worries. Good luck mate.

Thanks a lot for the links ajs604. Its well appreciated. I'm going to have a look through now.

I see your point about the difficulty in getting responses from employers, while I'm still based in the UK.

My mate who has been based in Oz for the past 12 months did this, but he planned on migrating where as I just intend on going for a few months.

Migrating has crossed my mind, but I'd just like to see whether I like it first with the WHV. I'm just concerned about finding work. but from you and others have said, I shouldnt have any issues as such:)

There's various disability services in Sydney who always seem to be recruiting for casual support workers. I'm sure they'll have youth focused jobs. Northcott Disability Services and Cerebral Palsy Alliance spring to mind. (Northcott employed me on a WHV as a temp speech pathologist). See their websites for vacancies - but I don't think it likely you'd secure that kind of job in advance before you're over there.

The other thing I half wish I'd thought about whilst on a WHV was being a cowboy! Apparently it's hard work but really fun and WHV people do it for a few months. You sleep in stables and stuff! (I don't know how you'd find out more though).

Hi Naomi,

good to see a fellow manc on here.

Working as a casual support worker would be right up my street. I'll have a look at their site.

I've heard about the cowboy job...as interesting as it sounds....I don't think its for me lol.

Thanks

Archived