non-migrating dependant confusions

Guest guy22

Hi guys:cute:

I put my parents under "other family members" section when I applied for 175 (still waiting for CO), however I do have the plan to bring them over under contributory parent visas (subclass 143).

I recently heard that if I put my parents under other family members instead of "non-migrating dependents", I will have trouble sponsoring them later because the selection of "other family member" in my application will automatically mean that I will not want them to come over in a later stage. Is this true?

Is it necessary for me to inform the DIAC and put them under "non-migrating dependants", and if I do so, do they need to submit PPC/medical and will it make my applciation even longer?:chatterbox:

Thanks!

I recently heard that if I put my parents under other family members instead of "non-migrating dependents", I will have trouble sponsoring them later because the selection of "other family member" in my application will automatically mean that I will not want them to come over in a later stage. Is this true?

It is nonsense.

• 1 year later...

my mother is considered as dependent on me and ico accepted , i consider her as migrating dependent, however she do'nt want to come with me, therefore i want to change her as non-migrating dependent. can i do this change ? a non-migrating dependent can come later and what would be the condition on that time?

my mother is considered as dependent on me and ico accepted , i consider her as migrating dependent, however she do'nt want to come with me, therefore i want to change her as non-migrating dependent. can i do this change ? a non-migrating dependent can come later and what would be the condition on that time?

If your CO has accepted that she is a dependent of yours, you should leave it as it is. It will be near impossible for you to get her to Australia if she changes to non-migrating dependent. As the only options would be Parent Visas, and she would need to meet the criteria for them i.e. family balance test, you would need to be settled in Australia for a period of 2 years to be able to sponsor, then there is the waiting times of 15 years for parent visa, or the very expensive contributory parent visa.

If she is a dependent of yours, and does not want to go, it questions how much of a dependent that she really is?

Visas are valid for 5 years, and normally need to be validated within 12 months of medicals or Police checks, therefore you do have some flexibility on when you move to Australia.

Archived