All ready to go but down in the dumps

kasper5

After 18 months of prep I have booked a flight and am preparing my flight to Sydney. Im feeling really fed up with the whole thing though. Ive had let down and let down and I cant expect to live in Oz for years as an unskilled worker.

Ill be lucky to get a base for 2 weeks in Sydney - mind you it is Sydney. Insurance costs have gone up and Im scrapping my Queensland work plan. Ive booked a one way flight as if I get a return I dont know when Im coming back. The whole thing has cost me over £2200 so far.

I think its to my credit that Im carrying on but by the time I get to Oz it will be no different to me than, say, Ireland. The novelty has disapeared. Sure I was keen early on but the logistics are such that its difficult to plan.

Does anyone else feel this way..is it a phase?

Guest guest37336
After 18 months of prep I have booked a flight and am preparing my flight to Sydney. Im feeling really fed up with the whole thing though. Ive had let down and let down and I cant expect to live in Oz for years as an unskilled worker.

Ill be lucky to get a base for 2 weeks in Sydney - mind you it is Sydney. Insurance costs have gone up and Im scrapping my Queensland work plan. Ive booked a one way flight as if I get a return I dont know when Im coming back. The whole thing has cost me over £2200 so far.

I think its to my credit that Im carrying on but by the time I get to Oz it will be no different to me than, say, Ireland. The novelty has disapeared. Sure I was keen early on but the logistics are such that its difficult to plan.

Does anyone else feel this way..is it a phase?

Hopefully my friend it is a phase.

It is often the case after all the hard work, stress, research, worry that the 'actual' day/weeks leading up to the journey can be somewhat of an anticlimax matey.

Easy for me to sit here and pontificate mate, but wouldn't be saying it unless I had done it on several occasions.

It is a journey of enormous upheaval, emotions, practicalities ALL take their toll on us mere humans. Wish I could say it was different mate, but along with the MANY highs there are in equal measure many lows.

But don't be too hard on yourself, I am sure that once in Australia you will find your mindset changing, hopefully for the better. You will still have a few niggles along the way, without a doubt, but it is a chapter in your life that very few are afforded, and not to take this chance would be a great shame.

The last thing you want to do is say in years to come, 'If Only' or 'I Wish', whatever happens your way my friend, good luck and keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest The Pom Queen

We all go through the phase of thinking what the hell are we doing. Hopefully once you arrive you will realise why you went through all this.

I can remember getting on the plane from Melbourne to Cairns and thinking what the hell am I doing I was ready to get on the next flight back, but as we touched down in Cairns it just felt like home.

Where are you going to stay in Sydney - a hostel? I stayed in the YMCA (RIP) for a week when I first arrived in December 1978. I had now skills then and have not imiproved much since.

If you are staying in a hostel, well, they are usually OK. I stayed in the YHA Pitt & Rawson Place a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The young guys in my room were friendly and invited me out for drinks.

If you are coming soon, you are arriving as the weather is warming up. I had my first swim for a couple of weeks today and it was lovely.

If you follow an EPL club, Google it and find out where they meet here - always a good way to build a social life.

I reckon you will have a good time, does not matter what happens anyway.