WHV extension

leswan21

Hi I'm a male youth working that has just entered Australia on my Working Holiday Visa. I'm currently residing in Brisbane with family and looking for work as a youth worker. I've just reread the conditions of my visa and noticed that I can only work for one employer for no longer than 6 months. however should I get written confirmation from the secretary I can continue working in this post.

I was wondering if anyone has done this and could give me a clue of how difficult it is to get hold of this written permission. Also would this permission also allow me to remain in a job instead of working in a farm for 3 months in order to extend my visa. Naturally I want to extend my Visa and am hoping that I wont have to work in farms for three months.

Ideally I would like an employer to sponsor me and eventually get residency in Australia. If anyone could advise me on this I would be really grateful. Even if you feel what I want to do would be really difficult please tell me as I just need to get an idea of how realistic it is.

It's really difficult to get a firm answer as some websites are saying that youth workers are on the desired trade list but others they are not on the list.

Thanks guys!

Leswan

've just reread the conditions of my visa and noticed that I can only work for one employer for no longer than 6 months. however should I get written confirmation from the secretary I can continue working in this post.

NO

"Requests to extend the employment period beyond six months are only granted in exceptional circumstances. An extension may be allowed for a very short period of time (less than one month) and only if there is very strong justification to grant it.

Exceptional circumstances must be extraordinary and unforeseeable"

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/obligations.htm

Also would this permission also allow me to remain in a job instead of working in a farm for 3 months in order to extend my visa.
No - only way of getting 2nd WHV is to do specified work in Regonal Australia for total of 3 months

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm

Ideally I would like an employer to sponsor me and eventually get residency in Australia. If anyone could advise me on this I would be really grateful. Even if you feel what I want to do would be really difficult please tell me as I just need to get an idea of how realistic it is.
Take a look at Visa Wizard

http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/

Thanks thats really helpful, finally I have some solid answers!

One more question though, I checked out the visa wizard and I am on a desired trade list. With regards to doing the farm work. If I'm being sponsored as a youth worker, do I get to continue my employment with my sponsor instead of doing the farm work. Or do I go and do the farm work to extend my visa then hopefully continue emplyment after this three months?

At the moment this is rather trivial as I don't have a sponsor but just good to know what it will mean for me if I manage to get one.

Thanks Again!

You can only get a second WHV if you do 'specified work' in a regional area. It doesn't necessarily need to be farm work, but it must be on the 'specified work' list and youth worker is not on there.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm Specified work

If you get a second WHV, then you can work for another 6 months with an employer or employers from your first WHV (the 6 month per employer 'clock' is effectively reset) and you don't need to apply for permission to do so in that case.

If you find a sponsor during either WHV and apply for an employer sponsored visa, it is then possible to apply to extend your employment with that sponso and your pending visa should provide the required 'exceptional circumstances'. See the following:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/obligations.htm where it says:

"Exceptional circumstances might include:

• Remaining in your current job while a decision is being made on an application for a visa which would allow you to continue full time work with your employer without leaving Australia.
    Example: Subclass 457 – Temporary Business (Long Stay) visa, Subclass 820 – Spouse visa.
    Note: If you intend to apply for a work extension on the basis of such a visa application, you must lodge the visa application before submitting the work extension request. Please direct your request to the Immigration office that is processing your visa application.'

Thanks again! Can't tell you how helpful that is! This forum is awesome!

For the time being I'm gonna try and get some short term work for 6 months. Had my first interview yesterday and have another on Monday so fingers crossed. Then I'll probably do the specified work before seeking sponsorship. I heard from one company who could offer me a sponsorship opportunity in Western Australia which is an option!

Thanks again and good on you!

Leswan

Archived