Freelance translator in UK, wanting to continue in Adelaide

Guest Karin_and_Mervyn

Guest Karin_and_Mervyn

Hi everyone,

We are in the process of applying for a temporary (3-year) visa to Oz, Adelaide, on my profession. I am a freelance translator, set up in a limited company, of which I am the sole owner. I work mostly for agencies in the UK and my clients are happy to continue providing me with work, after I've moved to Oz. They will obviously then start paying me into an Australian bank account (in Australian dollars). My question is this: can anyone tell me how my business should be set up in Australia? Should I go back to being a freelancer, should I set up a business account in Oz, or just a normal account. How does the tax work for freelancers?

Your help would be much appreciated :wubclub:

Cheers,

Karin (who's Dutch, by the way, but Mervyn is English, can I still stay on Poms in Oz?

Karin

You need to get tax advice from an Aussie and UK Accountant so contact Allan Collet who is both and is also a senior member on this forum. You situation has plenty of possibilities so proper tax advice is essential. The system over here will suit your situation especially if you contract/service to multiple clients. Allan's website is Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Visa, Tax and Financial Planning for Australia

If you need help on the investments, pension and insurance side of things please do not hesiate to contact me.

regards

Liam

Archived