Thank you Royal Wootton Bassett.

Guest Guest 47403

Guest Guest 47403

Just like to say thank you to the town of Royal Wootton Bassett for supporting the repatriation flights over the last 4 years, from September the flights will land at RAF Brize Norton so the towns role will come to an end.

Guest john76

Must agree with you, the people of Royal Wootton Bassett showed the rest of the world how to honour your dead, nobody asked them to do it they just did, and I'm sure in some small way they helped the families with such a show of pride and respect.

Guest sh7t man no way

wootton basset is only up the road from me baz--its got a lot of people through bad time with dignity--its allways on the local news,and is a constant reminder of the pain of war:wubclub:well done the people of wooton bassett

Guest guest37336
Just like to say thank you to the town of Royal Wootton Bassett for supporting the repatriation flights over the last 4 years, from September the flights will land at RAF Brize Norton so the towns role will come to an end.

Hi Baz.

Getting on my hobby horse again, sorry,:wubclub:.

I cannot express the gratitude I have for the people of Wooton Bassett, they are indeed a people who hold a special place in my heart, BUT.

I truly hope this isn't the end of the 'media' attention on those that have fallen for all of us. Each and every time I see a coffin repatriated carried by their friends and colleuques it brings a lump to my throat.

With the families permission of course I would like to see every repatriation televised live, no matter the time of day.

It can never bring the full scale of war to our imaginations, but it may bring about a certain 'consciousness' that should never be allowed to go from our hearts and minds.

Lets hope a few of these repatriations take place on a Saturday night when the X Factor is on and Big Brother, now that's a whole new thread, but I won't say too much as it is a family forum.:no:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest Guest 47403
Hi Baz.

Getting on my hobby horse again, sorry,:wubclub:.

I cannot express the gratitude I have for the people of Wooton Bassett, they are indeed a people who hold a special place in my heart, BUT.

I truly hope this isn't the end of the 'media' attention on those that have fallen for all of us. Each and every time I see a coffin repatriated carried by their friends and colleuques it brings a lump to my throat.

With the families permission of course I would like to see every repatriation televised live, no matter the time of day.

It can never bring the full scale of war to our imaginations, but it may bring about a certain 'consciousness' that should never be allowed to go from our hearts and minds.

Lets hope a few of these repatriations take place on a Saturday night when the X Factor is on and Big Brother, now that's a whole new thread, but I won't say too much as it is a family forum.:no:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Absolutely Tony, we don't do enough to honour our fallen soldiers in this country and what the people of Royal Wootton Bassett have started should without doubt be carried on in some way.

Guest guest37336
Absolutely Tony, we don't do enough to honour our fallen soldiers in this country and what the people of Royal Wootton Bassett have started should without doubt be carried on in some way.

Small acorns Baz, 'Help For Heroes' comes to mind,:notworthy::notworthy:

Guest guest30038

Agree Tony. As much coverage as possible.

Each repatriated soldier here gets "covered" 3 times. One day they show the fallen at the "ramp ceremony" in Ghan. The news covers the service held by his detachment in the base and his loading onto the transport.

The following day the news covers the arrival ramp ceremony here in Oz.

Then, a few days later, the funeral. All funerals are attended by the PM and leader of the opposition.

Keeps it fresh in the mind of the public as to their sacrifice, shows as much respect as the media will allow, and importantly, shows family and the nation that "body count" figures are not something to be swept under the carpet as they often were in past conflicts.

kev