Cost of Living in Mackay

stephenhall444

Hello,

I am looking for some advice regarding the cost of living in Mackay area within Queensland. I have been offered a job with a salary of $75,000 and I would need to support myself and my girlfriend. My girlfriend will try and find a job but I just want to base my decision on a worst case-basis that she won't find a job.

How comfortable do you think I could live on this salary?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Stephen

It's passable, but not fantastic. People do live on less and without dependents you'll probably be OK as long as you don't have an extravagent lifestyle. What job do you do? There's people who have been offered very low salaries for their work type simply because they don't know what the going rate is in town.

Great advice from both of you! Thankyou!

I would be working for Siemens on the railways near Sarina doing a Commercial role. The job looks OK not totally ideal. Using todays exchange rate the GBP equivalent is very good but from reading on here a ratio of at least $2:£1 gives a more realistic view of how comfortable I would be.

My gut feeling at the moment is to reject the role. I like the look of Mackay it looks a very pleasant place to live and its near some beautiful places but i am unsure if it will suit me personally in the long-term.

Thanks,

Stephen

Guest craigandsu

we have survived in qld for 4 years on earnings under 80.000, we have 2 kids and that money includes child benefit. we have a big mortgage , , run to cars , we cant afford a holiday home, but have had lots of trips in qld, we dont do without and we enjoy the adventure of experiencing a new country.

Archived