Spouse visa on Graduate visa

Guest lazybones

Guest lazybones

Hi everyone, I need some guidance as I need to take an important decision of my life. Can anyone tell me accurately how long does it take to get a spouse visa from Pakistan if your spouse in is Australia on a graduate visa.

My husband to be is a Pakistani citizen and has a graduate visa which is a temporary visa to get working rights in Australia after completing 2 year education in Aus. How long will it take for me to get the spouse visa on that? also tell me if i plan my wedding sooner and try getting a visit visa while he is on bridging visa. what are the chances of getting a visit visa to visit ur husband in Aus who is on bridging visa being a Pakistani citizen? and can the visit visa be extended from Australia in order to live with ur husband till he gets his graduate visa and applies for my spouse visa and I get it. Thanks

Please Please answer asap

Guest GeorgeD
Hi everyone, I need some guidance as I need to take an important decision of my life. Can anyone tell me accurately how long does it take to get a spouse visa from Pakistan if your spouse in is Australia on a graduate visa.

My husband to be is a Pakistani citizen and has a graduate visa which is a temporary visa to get working rights in Australia after completing 2 year education in Aus. How long will it take for me to get the spouse visa on that? also tell me if i plan my wedding sooner and try getting a visit visa while he is on bridging visa. what are the chances of getting a visit visa to visit ur husband in Aus who is on bridging visa being a Pakistani citizen? and can the visit visa be extended from Australia in order to live with ur husband till he gets his graduate visa and applies for my spouse visa and I get it. Thanks

Please Please answer asap

I'm not 100% sure as I don't know anything about the visa your partner is currently on, and whether you can be added to that. What I can tell you is that the Offshore Spouse Visa (SC 309/100) requires the Sponsor (your husband to be) to be either an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident. Temporary Residents can't sponsor Spouse Visa applicants.

Graduate Visa???? Citizen???

Well your post is not very clear.

Spouse on a graduate visa can only sponsor you till he has 485 (I suppose this is what Graduate Visa is called) Visa.

If he has already been granted his Skilled – Graduate subclass 485 visa and you apply to be added to his visa as a secondary applicant, you can expect to hear from a Case Officer not long after you lodge your application. According to the latest Allocation Date list, all 485 subsequent entrant applications that were lodged before 1 July 2011 have already been contacted by a Case Officer so there is evidently not much of a delay.

If however is hasn't actually been granted his 485 and is still on a Bridging visa, you will have to wait until he has his 485 before you can apply. Allocations for 485s are currently only up to 8 February 2010.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/estimated-allocation-times.htm Allocation dates

Sorry, but I don't know for sure what your chances will be of getting a Tourist visa while he is still on a Bridging visa. I would imagine they would be fairly slim and that even if you can get one, that there would be a fairly good chance of it being granted with a No Further Stay condition 8503 attached. If you get an 8503, you would have to leave Australia before applying to be added to his 485.

Guest lazybones
If he has already been granted his Skilled – Graduate subclass 485 visa and you apply to be added to his visa as a secondary applicant, you can expect to hear from a Case Officer not long after you lodge your application. According to the latest Allocation Date list, all 485 subsequent entrant applications that were lodged before 1 July 2011 have already been contacted by a Case Officer so there is evidently not much of a delay.

If however is hasn't actually been granted his 485 and is still on a Bridging visa, you will have to wait until he has his 485 before you can apply. Allocations for 485s are currently only up to 8 February 2010.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/estimated-allocation-times.htm Allocation dates

Sorry, but I don't know for sure what your chances will be of getting a Tourist visa while he is still on a Bridging visa. I would imagine they would be fairly slim and that even if you can get one, that there would be a fairly good chance of it being granted with a No Further Stay condition 8503 attached. If you get an 8503, you would have to leave Australia before applying to be added to his 485.

yes, my fiance (soon husband) has applied for 485 graduate visa on July 16 and right now he is on bridging visa. can you please tell me the expected time when he'll get the graduate visa and how long will it take for me to get a visa to join him in Australia. When will be the best time to apply and what other possible ways are there to expedite our union.

Thanks alot, I really appreciate your guidance!

The processing time standard for a 485 visa is 12 months. Since 18 July, the allocation date for 485s has only progressed by about 6 weeks so that indicates that it could well take at least that long (and perhaps longer) for him to get his visa given that the current allocation date is 8 February 2010.

The best time to apply for your visa will be the day he gets his 485 - you can't apply before then.

Until that time, the only visa you can apply for is a Tourist visa and I really don't know what your chances are of getting one. Hopefully another PIO member who has been in a similar position will be able to give you an idea.

Guest GeorgeD

Can you add a secondary applicant to a 485 visa once it has been granted? I know nothing about this visa, so sorry if this is a dumb question!

Someone on a 485 visa is not able to sponsor their partner for a Spouse Visa (309/100) as the 485 is a Temporary Visa and the sponsor in a Spouse Visa application must be an Australian Permanent Resident or Citizen.

yes a spouse visa 309/100 can only be sponsored by a Permanent resident or Australian Citizen but if you have a 485 visa you can add your partner as dependent and your partner get a visa with work rights and can stay with you until your visa expires.

if the primary applicant is in bridging visa there is no option to add dependents or sponsor any one, the choices will be, the primary applicant should apply for a bridging b visa and can leave Australia for a maximum period of three months or the partner can apply for a tourist visa and visit Australia, but if immigration finds out that if the purpose of visiting Australia on a Tourist visa is to live with Partner then it is not considered as a valid reason for a Tourist visa.

if the purpose of visiting Australia on a Tourist visa is to live with Partner then it is not considered as a valid reason for a Tourist visa.

Yes it is.

I am not sure but i have heard stories about immigration refusing tourist visa for dependents of bridging visa holders, I was on a bridging visa for two and a half years, I have gone through the pain of not able to leave this country more than three months in that period.

I am strongly against immigration having visas in pipeline and not taking decision on it for donkey years, hope the 2012 EOI change will reduce the time people being on bridging visa.

Guest lazybones
The processing time standard for a 485 visa is 12 months. Since 18 July, the allocation date for 485s has only progressed by about 6 weeks so that indicates that it could well take at least that long (and perhaps longer) for him to get his visa given that the current allocation date is 8 February 2010.

The best time to apply for your visa will be the day he gets his 485 - you can't apply before then.

Until that time, the only visa you can apply for is a Tourist visa and I really don't know what your chances are of getting one. Hopefully another PIO member who has been in a similar position will be able to give you an idea.

hey thanks for your valuable advice..but u missed out one question..how long will my visa take once he gets the 485 visa and I apply?

hey thanks for your valuable advice..but u missed out one question..how long will my visa take once he gets the 485 visa and I apply?

I answered that question to the best of my ability in my first post when I wrote:

"If he has already been granted his Skilled – Graduate subclass 485 visa and you apply to be added to his visa as a secondary applicant, you can expect to hear from a Case Officer not long after you lodge your application. According to the latest Allocation Date list, all 485 subsequent entrant applications that were lodged before 1 July 2011 have already been contacted by a Case Officer so there is evidently not much of a delay."

I doubt if anyone will have any more specific information other than what can be deduced from the allocation dates.

From the DIAC Procedures Advice Manual

46.5 De-facto relationships

The fact that an applicant may be seeking to extend their stay in Australia to enable them to meet the regulation 2.03A(3) duration of relationship criterion for a Partner visa is not in itself a reason to refuse to grant a Tourist visa. In such case, officers should consider whether the applicant meets the genuine visitor requirement and/or whether the applicant is likely to abide by visa conditions. For example, if the applicant is low risk, and the decision maker is satisfied that they will not work whilst in Australia and abide by their visa conditions, it may be appropriate for a visa to be granted. Each case must be treated on its own merits.

Guest lazybones
I answered that question to the best of my ability in my first post when I wrote:

"If he has already been granted his Skilled – Graduate subclass 485 visa and you apply to be added to his visa as a secondary applicant, you can expect to hear from a Case Officer not long after you lodge your application. According to the latest Allocation Date list, all 485 subsequent entrant applications that were lodged before 1 July 2011 have already been contacted by a Case Officer so there is evidently not much of a delay."

I doubt if anyone will have any more specific information other than what can be deduced from the allocation dates.

Thanks alot for you valuable information :)..it means it take about 2 months