keeping Chickens /chooks

tonyman

has anyone heard of the chicken breed highlinner , not sure how its spelt ........they lay constant for 18 months or so ........we have decided to go ahead and get some chooks now that the twins are 3 ..........anyone got some good advice on keeping them , we probs start off with 3 from a month old .........

has anyone heard of the chicken breed highlinner , not sure how its spelt ........they lay constant for 18 months or so ........we have decided to go ahead and get some chooks now that the twins are 3 ..........anyone got some good advice on keeping them , we probs start off with 3 from a month old .........

There's brown 'uns, black 'uns and white 'uns...

And these...

http://www.rightpet.com/Livestock-poultryDetail/hy-line-brown-chicken

http://petcitywa.com.au/2010/store-news/283/cheap-cheap-day-old-chicks/attachment/hy-line-brown-150x150

Cheers, Bobj.

The laying constant thing to me sounds like a hybrid, designed to have high egg production for a short period of time and then culled. Mass produced egg industry.

I'd suggest getting a few pure breeds, you get some easy natured ones, much more attractive than hybrids and also some very good longer term layers. Marans spring to mind. Light Sussex also.

I'm guessing Aus would suffer mite infestations as we do in the UK. Blood suckers come out over night and if its bad enough can kill a chook in the night.

I guess read a few chook forums, research a few breeds and get some POL (point of lay) pullets over younger birds or older. Housing, food, water and bedding. Also space to let them range a bit. And fresh ground to move their run on to to let the ground rest a while every so often. Otherwise chooks are eating their own crap (once its dissolved into the ground). And you eat their eggs... so yeah, space is always advisable.

I kept chooks for years. Bred them also. Only because I had to become a townie a couple of years ago did I give up keeping them. Miss the critters.

We've got a couple of Australorps (Orpingtons in the UK). Specifically bred for Aus conditions. They're standards (big) which means they can't fly well and don't escape; I have to return the neighbour's Rhode Island Reds to them every day as they smaller bantams can get over fences.

Two are more than enough, we get three eggs every four days out of each and they've been going for 4 years. We let them free range around the yard and they've got rid of all the ticks and bugs, but they also attack the vegie patch so my capsicums are looking a bit sad.

They do cluck and carry on a bit when they're on the lay (mind you, so did I when I had my sone, so I don't blame them), but toherwise they're pretty quiet.

thanks for all your replys , does anyone know how Australian terriors and chickens get on ......? that could stop us getting them ,though we do have room to seperate them if need be .......but would be nice to leave them to roam the garden rather than the hard grounds ....

Guest The Pom Queen
thanks for all your replys , does anyone know how Australian terriors and chickens get on ......? that could stop us getting them ,though we do have room to seperate them if need be .......but would be nice to leave them to roam the garden rather than the hard grounds ....

Lol terriers have a high prey drive, probably not a good idea to mix them:biggrin:

Guest Guest16631

.................have terriers and chickens.....................the dogs are fine while I am there but I wouldn't trust them alone with them.....................

What tink said.

I've generally found if you have the dog from a pup and they grow up around chooks its far easier than introducing chooks to an adult dog (although I have done this successfully with a lurcher and a collie cross, both well trained by me). And terriers even then can still kill chooks if they take it into their head to do so. Once they kill one, it often happens they will kill more given the chance.

Guest guest48800

Loving this thread! We keep 4 chooks here in the UK, my 5 year old daughter adores them and they're great pets. Have been wondering for a while whether we'd be able to have some again when we get to Oz, so finding info on best Aussie breeds interesting.

Please forgive my ignorance and the fact that I haven't actually researched this bit yet... but is there a 'fox equivalent' in Oz that poses a danger to backyard chooks?

Guest Guest16631

..have kept chickens for the last 15 years or so............................as well as foxes snakes can be a bit of a nieusence .....................stealing eggs as do crows.....................best to make sure hen house is secure........................I have named all of mine and find them good company..............soothing and often amuseing with some of their antics.....................

Guest guest48800
Grrrrr at foxes..

Foxes were introduced to Australia so the poncy rich gits had something they recognised to shoot at.

Much like rabbits...

Sorry - introduced pests are a personal peeve of mine!

Thanks, are they 'widespread'? Sorry, will be doing some 'googling' later!

Not too keen on introduced pests either...grey squirrels..quite cute, but still grrrr!

Guest guest48800
..have kept chickens for the last 15 years or so............................as well as foxes snakes can be a bit of a nieusence .....................stealing eggs as do crows.....................best to make sure hen house is secure........................I have named all of mine and find them good company..............soothing and often amuseing with some of their antics.....................

Our girls all have names too (in a 4yr old girl style, which means they all end in 'ie'...Sophie, Goldie, Daisy, Edie!). They're shacked up in a proper Fort Knox at the moment over here. Guess it would depend on where we end up, what type of house etc. Are there 'local bylaws' preventing the keeping of chickens in some areas do you know? I know that some friends of ours couldn't have them here in the UK do to some local ruling.

I love watching them 'sunbathe' and some of their antics are definitely entertaining! :biggrin:

Thanks, are they 'widespread'? Sorry, will be doing some 'googling' later!

Not too keen on introduced pests either...grey squirrels..quite cute, but still grrrr!

Foxes are opportunistic so can thrive pretty much anywhere there is food and water. Around cities/towns and areas near human habitation round the coast I'd expect them anywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_foxes_in_Australia

And as cute as grey squirrels might be, I call them tree rats. Tend to think of them like vermin.

Guest Guest16631
Our girls all have names too (in a 4yr old girl style, which means they all end in 'ie'...Sophie, Goldie, Daisy, Edie!). They're shacked up in a proper Fort Knox at the moment over here. Guess it would depend on where we end up, what type of house etc. Are there 'local bylaws' preventing the keeping of chickens in some areas do you know? I know that some friends of ours couldn't have them here in the UK do to some local ruling.

I love watching them 'sunbathe' and some of their antics are definitely entertaining! :biggrin:

.......................MINE ARE ALL CORANATION STREET STARS.......:biglaugh:...................but as to the amount ,its down to the local council..................mine are kept in a house built off the ground..[pics in my album 'home']............have always bought point of lays and have a few ..........................rescued bantams...................plus a few others who's owners have moved on.............they are too old to lay.......................but are enjoying their retirement..................

Archived