Manufacturing jobs to go in Aus

Petals

See the headline on newscom this morning

1000 jobs tipped to go at BlueScope steel as manufacturing industry braces for crisis

200 jobs are going at Westernport and that will make a big dent on business in and around the Mornington Peninsula. Suppliers etc.

Blue Scope has always been a big employer in this area.

Its not just the jobs at the plant its the contractors and truckies who carry the steel from the mill.

High dollar is blamed but lets face it labour costs will be at the back of it.

Guest sh7t man no way

sad time indeed petals,also looks like queensland construction is going through a bad time to--a coulple of my mates have had to take FIFO jobs up north just to get by

sad time indeed petals,also looks like queensland construction is going through a bad time to--a coulple of my mates have had to take FIFO jobs up north just to get by

Sure is my friend's husband is out of work he is a site manager/engineer and after the last project he did they were all made redundant. He is in Brisbane. He knows all the people as been there for years but there is nothing around he says so no work. They are thinking of returning to Melbourne now.

Guest sh7t man no way

Sure is my friend's husband is out of work he is a site manager/engineer and after the last project he did they were all made redundant. He is in Brisbane. He knows all the people as been there for years but there is nothing around he says so no work. They are thinking of returning to Melbourne now.
my son in law was over for my sons wedding a couple of weeks ago (uk) he works construction,and says it pretty bad at the mo--a couple of mates of mine in brizzy,are up north on FIFO,and say its just a morgage payer,and hope to to get back as soon as possible to family life--they say its gone down from $80an hour to $50 an hour in the last year or so--plus there charging a lot more for accomodation if you want your family with you

Around 10 or so years ago I worked for a firm who used quite a bit of coil steel. We were located in the southern highlands NSW around 1 hr from wollongong. which is where the steelworks are. I couldn't believe that the company bought their coil steel from wait for it - china !!! Can you believe it was cheaper to ship it all the way from china, unload it from the docks - right next to the steelworks at port kembla then drive it an hour up the road than to buy it ' locally '. I was shocked when I was told this. The dollar was nowhere near as strong then as it is now....

As sad as it is it doesn't surprise me, when I was a kid growing up in Wollongong there were 20,000 workers at the steel works.. on a few thousand now... even less soon

Guest Nic Lavida
Around 10 or so years ago I worked for a firm who used quite a bit of coil steel. We were located in the southern highlands NSW around 1 hr from wollongong. which is where the steelworks are. I couldn't believe that the company bought their coil steel from wait for it - china !!! Can you believe it was cheaper to ship it all the way from china, unload it from the docks - right next to the steelworks at port kembla then drive it an hour up the road than to buy it ' locally '. I was shocked when I was told this. The dollar was nowhere near as strong then as it is now....

As sad as it is it doesn't surprise me, when I was a kid growing up in Wollongong there were 20,000 workers at the steel works.. on a few thousand now... even less soon

I can't seem to get the link to work now so I am just guessing what it says. This is just crazy this happening all over the country. Where does the government think the replacement jobs are going to come from. It may be cheaper to import from China but it the costs of unemployment completely outweigh the savings of one company. How is this going to end for everyone? Surely it is better to keep as many companies going as possible, the more people that are earning, the more money is circulating in the economy. The dollar is not going to be high forever it. Why not just weather the storm. Greedy shareholders will be pleased to see the cost cutting measures as usual.

Guest sh7t man no way

I can't seem to get the link to work now so I am just guessing what it says. This is just crazy this happening all over the country. Where does the government think the replacement jobs are going to come from. It may be cheaper to import from China but it the costs of unemployment completely outweigh the savings of one company. How is this going to end for everyone? Surely it is better to keep as many companies going as possible, the more people that are earning, the more money is circulating in the economy. The dollar is not going to be high forever it. Why not just weather the storm. Greedy shareholders will be pleased to see the cost cutting measures as usual.
its a world economy we are ruled by nic--countrys just dont seem to look after there own as far as profit,and pleaseing the share holders goes--nice post by the way

Archived