buying/renting a car

chiara

We will be arriving in a month or so and I'm wondering what to do about transport. DH's company will provide us with a rental for 2 weeks but after that I'm wondering if it is wiser to rent or to buy? With 5 kids I'll need a 7 seater which is always harder to rent. But how easy is it to get a car loan within weeks of arriving?

Thanks

I'm interested in knowing too! So far company hasn't said anythng about a company car even for a month or so.

I've heard it's not the norm to get a company car in Australia... even if a senior position has been offered. Is that right?

We might just be there for 3 - 6 months so buying seems a bit mad! Used cars are soooooooooooo expensive! What are the options?

I'm interested in knowing too! So far company hasn't said anythng about a company car even for a month or so.

I've heard it's not the norm to get a company car in Australia... even if a senior position has been offered. Is that right?

We might just be there for 3 - 6 months so buying seems a bit mad! Used cars are soooooooooooo expensive! What are the options?

No that's not right. Company car schemes do work slightly differently in Australia however. The norm is to offer a Novated Lease (a sort of salary sacrifice arrangement). Company cars are still very tax efficient in Australia (unlike the UK) plus because cars depreciate slower in Australia leasing makes better economic sense than in the UK too. If you google Novated Lease you should find plenty of information about them.

Archived