Statutory declaration in the USA

path2aus

Hi All,

I am trying to get a Statutory declaration done for the ACS in the US. Anyone know what the process is for the same? I am not sure if USA has stamp papers like in India, how do they do the stat declaration and who does the same? It will be really helpful if someone can let me know of the process in USA.I heard that the stat declaration needs to be done only on stamp paper. Do the attorney help you do that in the US? Anyone has any experience of doing stat declaration in the US

Thanks.

Guest HoutoMel

This issue delayed my start of the immigration process big time, so here's what I know from the US perspective--what you have to do varies by state. I'm in Texas, so here's the basics for this state. Yours might be different. Here, statutory declarations can be signed and stamped by notaries. I don't know about ACS, but I did mine for VETASSESS and used some boilerplate language from some online sources (the Australian government has a sample one online if I remember correctly).

Notary rules vary by state. In Texas, they can notarize just about anything that doesn't originate from a "self-authenticating authority" (like transcripts from your school). Just be sure to get the person notarizing your documents to include their business card for every declaration that you do because that's got their contact information (which is required). A alternative to their card would be just to print (clearly) their contact information (address, email, phone). If you don't know what notaries in your state can notarize, I suggest calling your state's secretary of state (or whoever grants notary licenses) to see what they can and can't do. North Carolina has a lot more items that they can't be used for, for example. Also, I just went to my bank to get stuff notarized since many of their employees are notaries.

For VETASSESS, I had multiple documents, so I was able to do a statutory declaration "cover page" with the business card attached to it and then just group the notarized documents with it. I don't know if ACS is the same.

Some of the tips I got came from online sources came from online research (which got confusing), but the most efficient came from VETASSESS itself. Speaking of--one more thing that had me concerned for a while...

VETASSESS required 2 passport photos and they had to be certified as true and accurate representations of you. The way the instructed me to do this was to tape both pictures to one piece of paper and have the notary stamp in a place where it touches both pictures. I don't know what ACS required, but there's a little idea about what their counterparts required.

If you have any more questions about statutory declarations, I'll also try to help however I can.

Guest stormgal
Hi All,

I am trying to get a Statutory declaration done for the ACS in the US. Anyone know what the process is for the same? I am not sure if USA has stamp papers like in India, how do they do the stat declaration and who does the same? It will be really helpful if someone can let me know of the process in USA.I heard that the stat declaration needs to be done only on stamp paper. Do the attorney help you do that in the US? Anyone has any experience of doing stat declaration in the US

Thanks.

Hey there -

I did mine for ACS in the US with plain paper, and had it notarized by an attorney. He basically stamped it with a raised seal issued by the State. The seal contained all sorts of information like his license #, the State that it was issued in, and when his commission expires. For my college degree and passport, I had a bit of a dilemma as it is not legal in my State to "certify" copies. So what I did was include one sentence, "I understand and acknowledge that this affidavit is not a certified copy under {insert State} Law". Both the lawyer and ACS accepted it. Well, at least ACS hasn't responded with a need for more information, and it's been almost three months that my documents have been submitted. It's currently "with assessor". (My status has bypassed the stage where "more documents are needed") :wink:

Hope this helps and all the best :)

• 4 years later...
Hi All,

Thanks.

Could someone please help me with this. I cannot send PM here. Thank you

Archived