Possible change of plan - now heading to Brisbane?

Guest NeilEB

Guest NeilEB

Ok, so I have my visa, sponsored by WA whihc is where we intended to settle.

However, I have been contacted about a possible job in Brisbane, and so am looking for information on the city.

Not entirely sure what I'm looking for - would people recommend it? What's good / bad about Brisbane?

I have a 3 year old son, who loves being outdoors - he loves playing cricket and soccer if that helps at all.

Also, I know it's a really subjective question, but what kind of salary would I need to be looking at to support my family (me, my wifer and my son)? We don't have hugely expensive tastes, and hopefully my wife will work part-time, but we'd like to try for another child first.

When I was looking at Perth, I was looking for a salary of around $90k - would this kind of figure be ok for Brisbane too?

Hi Neil,

Gosh you are really having lots to think of, we were originally planing to moving to Queensland but hubby not on list, (secret agents not needed in Brissie :wink:)

So will that mean that the company will sponsor you now rather than having to go with WA as planned, as I know you must live in that state for 2 years methinks :laugh:

Hope all goes well with your decisions :)

Guest NeilEB

Hey Tink,

What are you hanging out on the QLD forum for? Get back to WA you!

Nope, apparently state sponsorship is only a 'moral' agreement, and nothing actually prevents you from ignoring the 2 year requirement (you're going to hate me now aren't you?).

It's not normally something I would do, and I really want Perth, but if I can only find a job in Brissie, then Brissie it will be!

Guest guest30038

90K should do it. We're a family of 4 on little over that, and although we don't have a mortgage, we put an extra $400 fortnightly into superann and had two teenagers in private schooling (one is now working). We eat well, and play hard.

Most housing estates have their own parkland of various sizes so if you just want to step outside and kick a ball, that's no problem.

Where we are, we're 5 minutes from shorncliffe/sandgate promenade/beach and 15 minutes from the beaches (not surf so safe for kids) on the redcliffe peninsula. 15 minutes away is North Pine dam and it's picnic areas...........An hour each way has us on the Gold coast or sunshine coast and less than 30 minutes from here to a rainforest or the glass house mountains. Another 15 minutes has us at somerset or Wivenhoe dams.

Good schools in the area and access to the highway north or south is 2 minutes away.

The city is marvelous and only a half hour commute to South Bank parklands.

Downside..............none for us, but it could be if you pick the wrong area to live. some of the commutes can be bad.

Never felt unsafe where we are and the streets are deserted by 8pm.

Simply love it, as do the other 2 PIO familes living within a minute of me.

Feel free to PM me if you have a specific question

good luck

kev

Guest NeilEB

Thanks Kev - when I know more about the job (where it is for example!) and if it looks likely to go ahead then I'll definitely pick your brains for more info.

I don't usually get this excited, but it makes a change to actually have an interview with a company, rather then an agent!

Susie, are you stalking me? I know you have a house in Karratha and you live in Taz - now you're hanging out on the QLD boards!

Eek!

Guest siamsusie
Thanks Kev - when I know more about the job (where it is for example!) and if it looks likely to go ahead then I'll definitely pick your brains for more info.

I don't usually get this excited, but it makes a change to actually have an interview with a company, rather then an agent!

Susie, are you stalking me? I know you have a house in Karratha and you live in Taz - now you're hanging out on the QLD boards!

Eek!

No Mr Neil, just being helpful:biglaugh:, guiding you, holding you back from Kevin, because he has lost touch with reality about cost of living in Queensland:wink::biggrin:.. perhaps I have to get a fishing shack in Queenie lol

Guest NeilEB
No Mr Neil, just being helpful:biglaugh:, guiding you, holding you back from Kevin, because he has lost touch with reality about cost of living in Queensland:wink::biggrin:.. perhaps I have to get a fishing shack in Queenie lol

So you don't think $90k is reasonable to live on then? To be honest I have no idea what the salary is - find out more tomorrow hopefully (cursed time difference!)

Guest siamsusie
So you don't think $90k is reasonable to live on then? To be honest I have no idea what the salary is - find out more tomorrow hopefully (cursed time difference!)

:laugh:Pmsl Neil.. I know nothing.. Kev, Cal and other Queenslanders will know better, I would have thought so Neil. There is so much free stuff to do Neil, I am sure you will be fine. x

(I was having a banter with you as far as Kevin is cocnerned!) x

I have just read Kev's post and it all looks good Neil seriously x

Guest NeilEB

Ok - just been speaking to my wife about this and she has some odd concerns.....

1) Apparently Brisbane has huge cockraoches everywhere

2) Mosquitoes carry disease and you can be unlucky to be bitten by one and be ill for a year

3) There are termites which can destroy your house and the insurance wont cover it.

Now whilst I'm sure there are truths to some of these, I'm guessing it can't be as bad as it sounds otherwise no-one would live there - so, anyone want to give me the 'real' story?

Guest guest30038
Ok - just been speaking to my wife about this and she has some odd concerns.....

2) Mosquitoes carry disease and you can be unlucky to be bitten by one and be ill for a year

3) There are termites which can destroy your house and the insurance wont cover it.

Now whilst I'm sure there are truths to some of these, I'm guessing it can't be as bad as it sounds otherwise no-one would live there - so, anyone want to give me the 'real' story?

You spray the house (professionally) annually for around $250 or you can do it yourself for around $80.

You spray your person to deter mosquitos. I live on a hill that catches the breezes and has no wetland nearby so i have no need for spary. The only time I spray myself is when out camping. My property, due to it's situation, is mosquito free.

Doesn't matter where you live in Oz, you'll encounter the same insects, more or less.

There is also a contact spray that you spray by your doors and skirting boards (cockies seem to run along there) that kill's 'em on contact. You find 'em laying on their backs kicking their legs, and if you're squeemish and don't want to touch 'em, their death throes last for around 2 days..................makes for a good topic of conversation when guests arrive...............I've even taken bets on how long before they die :biglaugh:

kev

Hey Tink,

What are you hanging out on the QLD forum for? Get back to WA you!

Nope, apparently state sponsorship is only a 'moral' agreement, and nothing actually prevents you from ignoring the 2 year requirement (you're going to hate me now aren't you?).

It's not normally something I would do, and I really want Perth, but if I can only find a job in Brissie, then Brissie it will be!

:laugh::laugh: I wish I could get to WA :wink: You know me thought I could sprinkle a little fairy dust to help your situation :biggrin:

Yep hubby told me that last, No I won't hate you but can't believe you will be heading to the other side :tongue:

Totally appreciate that, you have to go where the jobs are Neil, so are there no call for Male Strippers in Perth :laugh: seriously I hope all goes well and we wish you all the best in what ever you decide (as long as it's Perth :laugh:)

1) We bought a new house 10 months ago and due to a booking stuff up with our pest control man is well overdue to be treated (last treatment was 2008). Just checked with my wife and she has seen 2 cockroaches in the 10 months. A neglected rental on the other hand could have a lot more.

2) I've heard it is possible but vary rare in Brisbane.

3) You need to visibly inspect for termites on a regular basis. Usually damage if it occurs is fairly minor unless you totally neglect it and/or never get a professional inspection.

Guest NeilEB

Totally appreciate that, you have to go where the jobs are Neil, so are there no call for Male Strippers in Perth

Hmm - hadn't considered that........

*goes off to check seek*