New family moving from Essex to Perth!!

Guest keithkate

Guest keithkate

Hi All

This is my first thread! We are a family of four My husband Keith (35) and Myself Kate(29) and our two daughters who are 6 and 3, we r in the process of getting his subclass 100 visa, medical was done last week so hopefully not long now!!! I am a australian citizen and so now are our girls! i moved to the UK 10 yrs ago, but since getting married and bringing up a family we are for sure out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone tell me what the housing market is like out there in perth...? my hubby is a estate agent for the past 11 yrs and ideally thats what he would like to do, but not sure on the current climate out there..? Is perth ok for getting jobs...? im in purchasing administration....? im just worried that we wont be able to find work...?

my family can advise but would like a Ex poms advice...? lol

We r looking to move down mandurah way, but maybe a area in between perth and mandurah...? any ideas on nice areas...?

sorry for all the questions guys! i know im a aussie but have been out of the looop for a very long time! lol

any advice would be great, also do LCD and plasmas work.....???? shall we pay for shipping or buy new stuff when we get there..? :wacko: confusing

Hiya welcome to PIO

I cant help with Perth sorry as we moved to QLD with our children when they were a similar age to yours. They fitted into QLD life really well and the school was fab with helping them settle.

For a guide to property costs, rentals ,availability etc have a look at www.realestate.com as this is by far one of the better more popular sites.

For jobs try www.seek.com as again this seems to be one of the more popular sites people use.

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

There should be plenty of jobs for both of you. I saw a real estate agent in Joondalup had a notice in their window for new agents who wanted a change of career last week.

Now for the bad news. We have friends who moved into the real estate business about a year ago. He was new to the business though and had to retrain. I think they get put on the bottom of the list too when they get listings to sell. They get the hardest ones to get rid of and the people who have been with the real estate agent the longest get the richer pickings.

We met him a couple of weeks ago and he said times were really tough. Not many people buying and the housing market is really slow.

I don't think agents get a salary as such, just a small "retainer" and they then have to survive on commission. No sales, no commission. They are sort of self employed so if they have a listing I think it is up to them to pay for adverts, run the home open and provide transport for potential buyers. Most of them have nice cars as it looks more professional if they have to take potential buyers round a few properties.

Another downside is agents are usually working when other people are off. Weekends, late nights.

I guess if your husband has had experience though he would be used to this. On the upside, if the housing sector picks up they can make a lot of money pretty quickly. I know a few people did well up to the last couple of years.

The housing market has been pretty dead since then.

Guest keithkate

Hi Paul

Hey, thanks heaps for the advice!!! We have heard the market was dead! He can put his hand to anything really job wise, im just worried he wont be able to find a decent job as he has one here that he will be leaving! but everything comes at a risk i guess! can i ask what is a good wage for a male out there...? as i know perth is expensive to live in!! as my mum says, amy advice would be helpful...? when u do emigrate there then..? r u near perth..?

Archived