I am here on 457 but don't get a job?!

marta

Apologies in advance I have a stupid question.

I read somewhere that being on a 457 (partner) visa means not getting a job in Oz!

I have been quite worried since I read this because I am here on a 457 sponsored by my partner (who is sponsered by a university) and I did wrote a couple of applications in the last few weeks without even getting an interview.

What am I doing wrong? Is it true about not being *employable* on a 457?:shocked:

I read somewhere that being on a 457 (partner) visa means not getting a job in Oz!

I have been quite worried since I read this because I am here on a 457 sponsored by my partner (who is sponsered by a university) and I did wrote a couple of applications in the last few weeks without even getting an interview.

What am I doing wrong? Is it true about not being *employable* on a 457?:shocked:

Of course you MAY get a job but whether you CAN or not is a different matter. As a temporary resident you arent really going to be able to compete with permanent residents unless you go for short term contracts or generally work that wont cost them an arm and a leg to train you up. It isnt easy and you shouldnt expect to interview for every application you submit unfortunately

Guest siamsusie

Hi Marta:hug:,

There are some wonderful people on this forum that will gladly look at your CV for you and adapt it for the Australian market.. hints & tips etc.

You sound very determined and you will get there eventually, it just takes a few months on occasions.

Susie x

Phew, that sounds good.:wubclub: Thanks!

Hmmm, yes I was looking for continuous and short term contracts too. Also, I would be happy to do some kind of volunteering or unpaid internship just to get work experience in Australia.

The thing is my partner's position in Melbourne is continuous so it is very likely we stay here *forever* (if everything works out well). But of course that doesn't show in my 457 which is valid until 2015 only for now.

Thanks again.

Archived