Horse Owning in the Outback

fourcorners

Probably a long shot on here, but wondering if anyone has any experience of owning a horse in more arid/desert regions?

I am a very keen horse rider at the moment but can't currently afford my own in the UK. I'm hoping that once we move and I am earning more I will be able to get one in Kalgoorlie. Horse riding is popular there but I feel I have a lack of knowledge about horsekeeping. I'm used to turning out horses in grassy paddocks and dealing with mud fever, neither of which are particularly relevant in a desert! I know there's issues with dry feet, and sand ingestion/colic due to feeding on the ground.

Just wondering if anyone else has adjusted to a different horse culture out there and if you have any advice?

There is a good book called Horse sense written by by Peter Huntington, Jane Myers, Elizabeth Owens - CSIRO (2004.11.01) - paperback - Not sure if it is available on amazon etc

Horse Sense provides an in-depth guide to horse care under conditions unique to Australia and New Zealand.

I do plan to email a few clubs etc in a few weeks, ask about what is on offer for adults rather than the pony club (or if the pony club runs events for adults too).

Thanks Dawny for the book reference. It's a bit pricey on amazon but I'l keep hunting elsewhere for it!

Your welcome, give ebay a try or play.com, you might strike lucky :wubclub: