Construction work in WA & Perth!!!

gazsmith

Hi all and i hope someone could just give some advice on this subject?

I am a Bricklayer and should hopefully receive my 176 visa over the coming weeks!

Looking at some of the posts on this site there seems to be a trend that there is no real bricklaying oppotunities at the moment.

My question is would i be able to seek other work within the building industry such as carpentry, plastering, general plumbing etc etc without having these skills certified through vetassess?

I do not want work to hold me back from living in Oz and will explore all possibilities!!

Any advice would be more than welcome.:goofy:

Hi Gazsmith

Me and my OH who is a bricklayer are moving early next year to Perth. We have family and friends out there, both english and australian who work in the building trade and things are not that bad, each day there are numerous brickie jobs in the papers. I wouldnt worry too much about lack of jobs to be honest, we are getting it from people who live all over Perth and they are telling us we will be fine.

Hope that helps a little bit! :smile:

Hi Gazsmith

Me and my OH who is a bricklayer are moving early next year to Perth. We have family and friends out there, both english and australian who work in the building trade and things are not that bad, each day there are numerous brickie jobs in the papers. I wouldnt worry too much about lack of jobs to be honest, we are getting it from people who live all over Perth and they are telling us we will be fine.

Hope that helps a little bit! :smile:

Hi Lucky,

Yes that does help alot to be honest.

We are going over in Feb for a couple of weeks to have another look around and we should have our visa by then so we can validate and hopefully hit the job market there and start looking.

I hope everything works out for you guys and apart from my love of the country it certainly beats the hell out of this one given recent events.

Gary & Sue

My OH is a bricklayer also, we have now got our visa so once the house is sold we shall not be looking back! Brickie jobs are hardly ever advertised, at least thats what I found when I was in Perth 2 yrs back. They seemed to have lots of small sites as opposed to huge sites like here.

I did call a couple of ads and they blokes basically said turn up with your tools and if you can lay, you can stay. You may have to start at the bottom for a couple of weeks labouring but once they know you can lay the move you up.

Don't panic, the mining booms just getting started and all those miners need a place to live! Somebody has to build them.

Archived