175 or 176 visa

Sorry for pestering everyone again. I see in some if not all cases there are skills tests connected to visa applications. As a carpenter/joiner do I need to carry out suckh a test? If so, what and where do you do it? I have served my 4 year apprenticeship, have the qualification certificates, and have worked as a qualified carpenter/joiner for 13 years on top of the 4 serving my apprenticeship.

Thanks again.

alright mate yeah all trades have to do a skills test through vetassess ive just sent mine in on line and it took me ages i had to answer questiions on my trade which is bricklaying and send in wage slips my city and guilds pictures of my work and references the more you get in the better but i suggest you start asap as it takes a while to complete and every state wants to see you,ve had a skills test so good luck ill let you know how i got on mate

Guest Tosh Mckeown
That's brill. Thanks. So should this be my first step. Also are you going on a 176 visa and if so, how do you go about getting state sponsorship?

Hey mate I'm also a joiner (coatbridge), were near the end of our visa process now, we ended up going with the 176 SS visa, passed my vetasses in April and were just waiting on medicals now.

For the vetasses the only place you can book the joiner/carpenter test is in London, the test itself is easy enough it's just the traveling up and down with your tools that's the problem.

Get on google just now and search a company called visa-go they are based in Edinburgh, give them a call mate, we ended up using them but even if you choose not to they are still happy to answer your questions.

Where are you working just now?

You're kidding? London! First time I heard that there is an actual practical assessment. Not that I am worried about it just that it is news to me. If you don't mind me asking how much was your migration agent and have you found it helpful? Also did they sort out the state sponsorship or did you do it yourself?

I am self employed and have been doing so for about 5 years. www.ryjoinery.co.uk

I appreciate your help. I realise it is not going to be easy migrating to Australia but I am finding quite a few hurdles here at the start of the process. I have around two years to get to Australia. Do you think this is realistic or should I start to reconsider?

My daughter would start school in two years in August. I don't want her to start then pull her out half way through term after settling and making friends. I do realise the intake in Australia is January.

I wish you all the luck with your migration and thanks for getting in touch.

My email is on my site if you want to message me.

Thanks again.

Guest Tosh Mckeown

The practical test is easy mate, everyone down there makes you feel comfortable with everything your doing, it's a scaled down hip roof you form and other bits and pieces nothing major.

As for the time scale we started our process the last week in February this year and have our medicals booked for the end of the month, after that it's just a waiting game but I'll keep you posted.

As for the agent I would highly recommend using one, I think ours was around £1400 but honestly I would pay double that, basically I've sat at home and waited for either stuff through the post or emails to be printed they have done basically everything apart from actually sitting the test for me.

Hope this helps, if theres anything else just ask mate

That's ace. I have filled out the form on Visa-go and will wait on their response but £1400 sounds good. Was quoted way way more which initially put me off. How did you take your tools to London? And did you take everything? Nail guns, chop saw etc? I'll see what visa-go say but I am now thinking a good agent is the way to go. I really appreciate all your help and hope things go smoothly for you.

Are you shipping your stuff? Vehicle/furniture etc or you just buying new when you get there. I am getting the impression that I should take as much as I can with me as it's a little pricey in Oz.

Thanks again.

Guest Tosh Mckeown
That's ace. I have filled out the form on Visa-go and will wait on their response but £1400 sounds good. Was quoted way way more which initially put me off. How did you take your tools to London? And did you take everything? Nail guns, chop saw etc? I'll see what visa-go say but I am now thinking a good agent is the way to go. I really appreciate all your help and hope things go smoothly for you.

Are you shipping your stuff? Vehicle/furniture etc or you just buying new when you get there. I am getting the impression that I should take as much as I can with me as it's a little pricey in Oz.

Thanks again.

Vetassess gives you a list of tools to take I was originally going down for the joiner practical test so you have to take loads of tools with you, so I opted for driving down the nit before and staying in a hotel 5 mins away.....but when I got to the collage for the test I was the only one going for Joinery out of 10 people so changed it to the carpentry test, you don't need anywhere near as much tools, cordless screw gun, square, tape basic nail bag stuff. If I knew this before hand I would have chosen to fly down.

A little tip mate, get all your questions wrote down for when the agent calls you, if your like me you'll forget half of the stuff your wanting to ask lol.

I've started of selling some of my 110v tools just now and keeping the money separate for when I get there to buy new tools. We still don't know if we are going to take a container over yet, depends on how much we can save up before we go really, ideally would like everything new but might not be able to afford it, just need to wait and see.

That's absolutely fantastic mate. I will stop harassing you now although you will probabably spot me harassing other people now. lol. If you don't mind, keep me posted on your progress and any more helpful hints would be greatly appreciated even though you've helped me enough already. :unsure:

Cheers.

Filled out the form and got no reply from Visa-go. Also tried contacting them through facebook but no joy there. The last time i did a hip roof was for my skills test of completion of my apprentiship lol. In fact it was the only time! Better read up on my plumb cuts and seat cuts. What else is involved it the test and is London as local as it gets? I'll assume there is another charge involved for the test aswell? I'm also getting the vibe that there is not as much work in Oz as the agents are leading us to believe. You heard anything about that? I am still determined to get out there but just unsure which way to go about it.

Thanks again.

Archived