New Points test relevant employment experience

Waitingawhile

I am looking at what is deemed relevant work experience and note the department says:

In determining whether an applicant’s skilled employment is closely related to their

nominated occupation, the department will take into consideration the occupations within one unit group classified under Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations

(ANZSCO).

I think this is quite a narrow interpretation as for instance in this country a probation officer must have a degree whilst under ANZSCO this occupation is classified at a diploma level therefore in looking at the skills level which someone is practicing is going to be potentially fraught. I worked within a drug team and although i demonstrated I had experience running a local drugs project i actually gained my skills assessment based on my probation officer work evidence.

So as Drug and Alcohol Counsellor is in one unit group and probation officer is in another unit group I can forsee problems when it comes to having my employment experience assessed! Has anyone else faced similar difficulties or have a solution?:wubclub:

Bumping this up- I would be really grateful if someone could advise whether the assessment of relevant employment experience will take into account the higher level of skills involved in probation work in the Uk versus Australia and as such, view it as comparable with a level 1 skill as without being able to claim these points for work experience I think am now stuffed.

Although no one has replied this question has had a few hits so thought I would also post what I have found out from VETASSESS in providing a points advise letter fro relevant employment experience- they normally consider other relevant occupations within the same unit group however if I can show my job involves a lot of D and A counselling then they would consider it- I doubt this will be too difficult as such a high proportion of the client group experience these problems.

Archived