Help please with Subject Access Request

Guest Starryian

Guest Starryian

I am applying for a Visa and need to have a clean SAR. I have never been convicted of an offense but I was cautioned years ago when I was a kid for kicking a ball through a window. I hope it doesn't show up?

Can anyone tell me what a clean SAR would say exactly?

Would it just be one page saying I was not on the Police National Computer or would there be another separate page stating no convictions? I am utterly confused !! I need someone with a clean SAR to tell me exactly what one would say. If anyone can answer this you are an absolute star:hug:

A caution shouldn't stop you getting a visa, but you should declare it.

As a rule of thumb, you only need to start worrying if you've been sentenced to jail, and the total jail term is a year or more.

Each country has it's own way of saying things. for example in the UK, someone who's never had any dealings with the police would get a police check saying "no trace", but someone who's had a conviction but it's spent, would get "no live trace". If there are any convictions still current, they would be listed.

If you let us know which country you are talking about, hopefully someone from that country will be able to answer you with the wording for your country.

Guest Starryian

Thank you Dr Rock,

I am applying to go to New Zealand. Thanks for the advice about the Subject Access Request. I have never been to jail or convicted of any offense just a caution when I was a kid.

Will I get a single letter saying 'no live trace' or will I get a letter + an additional sheet with my caution on? My friend also has applied but he has 2 convictions for minor offenses also when he was a kid. He got a signed introductory letter explaining his rights to the information, and another with the details of his old offenses on.

His will look different to mine. What will mine say? I am worried that this criminal damage (thats how they will phrase it) caution will stop me from getting promoted once in New Zealand. (I understand these things are taking into account in the teaching world)

If anyone has a sample could they show on screen it would be most welcome

(Personal details excluded, of course) At least I will know what to say to my employer before I start my employment so that there are no nasty surprises for him when promotion comes up,

A kind thank you for your assistance DrRock. Much appreciated.

Starryian :hug:

I have my SAR infront of me and I have no convictions apart from traffic offences, but this is how it reads

"In reply to your request for information that may be held about you on the police national computer.

The Data Protection Act places an obligation on the police when holding personal information on computer to provide a copy of that information (unless an exemption applies) to the individual concerned on request.

From the personal details supplied in your request there is no information held about you on the police national computer

If you requested any information in addition to what is held on the police national computer the originating police force as above will send you a separate reply.

Yours faithfully"

If you need their contact details then send me a message and I will give you their email address

Guest Starryian
I have my SAR infront of me and I have no convictions apart from traffic offences, but this is how it reads

"In reply to your request for information that may be held about you on the police national computer.

The Data Protection Act places an obligation on the police when holding personal information on computer to provide a copy of that information (unless an exemption applies) to the individual concerned on request.

From the personal details supplied in your request there is no information held about you on the police national computer

If you requested any information in addition to what is held on the police national computer the originating police force as above will send you a separate reply.

Yours faithfully"

If you need their contact details then send me a message and I will give you their email address

Many thanks for that. It came in so handy. I am not so worried and I know what to expect now.

You sir, are a star!

Thanks again!