Flights - play it safe and buy a return ticket or...?

jennlx

Myself and my OH are planning to emigrate with our 2 children to Oz March 2012 and we're considering flights. We have no set plans - we're both a bit nervous about the move but there are many positives for us (including having family over there, which we don't have here in the UK). We both live here on about £60k but as the costs of living are quite good here in the UK, we do okay. We're nervous about the unknown and the costs of living in Australia, so are completely prepared to do 2 years then return back to the UK if we struggle in Australia (or just miss it!). I am looking at flights - we want to fly Singapore as we'll have two kids under the age of 2. One way flights are £1,800 and returns are £3k. Does anyone know how long the return date can extend? (i.e. is it limited for a year or two?) The thing is, it will only be a safety net in case we really need to return but I did look at the reverse and one way from Australia with Singapore is £2,700....ouch! Any advice would be appreciated, as always!

Guest bowow2011

Hi we have just purchased open returns they are valid for a year but were planning on returning for a visit at Xmas so for us it worked out well, flights from Oz are very expensive, hope all works out well for u guys xxx

hi, we looked into this as had the same concerns and years ago i got an open return to Australia that had three years on it. Phoned several brokers and flight companies and everyone has said that they no longer do the open return for longer than one year. Apparently many companies are flexible but has to be within the year! Sorry!

Archived