Wild weather and basic maintenance

Glad I Moved

This one mostly goes out to those of us living in NSW who may have noticed that there's a bit of a damp breeze around at the moment!

I've just spent the past three days / nights out and about with the SES tarping roofs and making good other storm damage and will probably be out again tonight as well.

Many of the Requets For Assistance came from householders coming home from work to find water pouring through ceilings and down walls.

Most of these were from genuine storm damage with tiles lifting etc but unfortunately a lot of others could have easily been prevented by keeping gutters clear!

We're having the heaviest rain for 60 years so if your gutters aren't working at pretty near to 100% efficiency, they're just not going to be able to handle the amount of water being thrown at them.

The wild weather is likley to continue for the next couple of days so please don't start clambering around up ladders just yet - but once things have calmed down, try to get all the leaves and other crap cleared away (or pay someone to do it for you) in readiness for the next bout of storms and heavy rain.

It could save you big bucks!

It is horrid isn't it! I sent hubby up a ladder to do the gutters a couple of months back. We have no overhanging trees here, so they don't get too bad.

I knew the weather would get bad when I went and got the things to make a vegetable garden on Monday!

Guest siamsusie
It is horrid isn't it! I sent hubby up a ladder to do the gutters a couple of months back. We have no overhanging trees here, so they don't get too bad.

I knew the weather would get bad when I went and got the things to make a vegetable garden on Monday!

LKC I have found "gutter guard" has alleviated that problem. It is also a fire hazard.

Susie x

Guest Hatton

I think they are going to have to build houses a bit more solid AND ROBUST as these storms seem to be getting bigger and wetter, :eek:

Hope everyone is OK.

Not aware of any serious injuries in this neck of the woods - but I reckon there have been some VERY near misses...

Regarding your comment about building more robust houses, it certainly struck me that since many of the old fibro houses must be getting close to 60+ years old, they can't be expected to last forever if they're going to be battered by storms like these several times a year.

Well this has been the wettest July on record so you must have been here a fair time! :huh:

You're only talking about July. I've lived here for 45 years and in years past have seen the large pane of glass in my front window bow in with the force of the wind and rain with the ensuing flood in my loungeroom. Haven't seen anything like that happen for many years.

Guest Hatton
You're only talking about July. I've lived here for 45 years and in years past have seen the large pane of glass in my front window bow in with the force of the wind and rain with the ensuing flood in my loungeroom. Haven't seen anything like that happen for many years.

Weather records are being broken all around the globe over the last decade especially in the UK Asia and the states as well as Oz, something is defiantly changing with this planet of ours

Guest littlesarah

I think the point that Ellie is trying to make is that the storms that result from large lows off the East coast have been a feature of Winters in South East Australia for a very long time. This year's current weather patterns may be associated with higher than average sea temps all along Australia's Eastern seaboard, which is consistent with the La Nina pattern that we had all Summer (although La Nina is officially over).

I'm not denying that weather patterns seem to be changing worldwide, but it certainly seems that weather fronts tend to hang around longer (maybe because of the large land mass?) in this country.

Weather records are being broken all around the globe over the last decade especially in the UK Asia and the states as well as Oz, something is defiantly changing with this planet of ours

I was not asserting that the Earth's climate is not changing - it's in a constant state of change. What I am saying is that I have seen worse storms than we're having now. The Australian climate has always been one of extremes. We have droughts that last for years, one not long finished, and then we get floods. Ask any farmer what the weather can be like!

The climate here is not much different now to what I have experienced in the past, except that last summer was almost a non event!