State secondary schools near Mornington??

karen79

We are hoping to move to Mornington late August possibly.I am sure this has been discussed before and have been searching lots, but I have a 13yr old daughter and am looking for a State secondary school that is reasonable/not a particularly bad rep to send her to. Heard mixed reports about Mornington secondary to be honest, also wanted to know if anyone knew much about Dromana secondary school? I hear there is a state one in Frankston also that is much sought after. Any advice much appreciated. She would be currently heading towards 3rd year in September if staying here, not sure what grade/year she would fall into ver there, as I believe they start school a little later. Thanks in advance folks...:confused:

Mornington Secondary College is ok I know lots of former pupils and they have all succeeded in life.

You would not be able to get a placement in Frankston High unless you lived in the zone, which is basically South Frankston. Everyone wants it so living in the zone is a must.

Mount Eliza has a high school don't know much about it.

Dromana is a fair hike to school from Mornington every day so I think Mum's taxi would have to be the way to go there and its not a trip I would want to make twice a day.

State High Schools have large intakes and therefore there are not nearly as many as there are primary schools.

We have one here in Somerville but do not know anything about it. Also there is Mount Erin in Frankston which you could possibly send her to but its a large school and not as popular as Frankston.

Personally I would be giving Mornington a go as its really how happy your daughter will be. She is moving to a strange area so sending her to school where you live ensures she will have friends in the area, whereas if you send her further afield she will not get friends in her area and this has ongoing problems I believe.

Mornington Secondary College is ok I know lots of former pupils and they have all succeeded in life.

You would not be able to get a placement in Frankston High unless you lived in the zone, which is basically South Frankston. Everyone wants it so living in the zone is a must.

Mount Eliza has a high school don't know much about it.

Dromana is a fair hike to school from Mornington every day so I think Mum's taxi would have to be the way to go there and its not a trip I would want to make twice a day.

State High Schools have large intakes and therefore there are not nearly as many as there are primary schools.

We have one here in Somerville but do not know anything about it. Also there is Mount Erin in Frankston which you could possibly send her to but its a large school and not as popular as Frankston.

Personally I would be giving Mornington a go as its really how happy your daughter will be. She is moving to a strange area so sending her to school where you live ensures she will have friends in the area, whereas if you send her further afield she will not get friends in her area and this has ongoing problems I believe.

All very valid points, Petals, thanks for that. Looking anywhere nearish to Mornington and still looking Frankston South also.

Hi there,

My eldest daughter goes to Mornington Secondary and is in year 12. We arrived in September '09 she went there near the end of year 10 and has some great friends and is very happy (from a 16 year old who did not want to come).

The youngest daughter aged 13 has been at Dromana Secondary since the start of the school year in February and is in year 7. She is very happy there after a disasterous start in year 5 at a local primary school. The friends she had from there were all going to Dromana and that is why she is there and not with her sister at Mornington.

We live in Mornington and I drop my youngest daughter off at Craigie Road, Mount Martha where she catches the bus to Dromana. There are 2 buses, one about 8.10 and another at 8.30 ish. The buses home are leave Dromana Secondary at home time do leave just after 3pm and my daughter does have to rush for the bus.

The school is completely in the middle of nowhere, only accessible by school bus or car. Its a smaller secondary with just under 1000 pupils compared to Mornington that is more the 1300 mark I think??

Other options are Padua Secondary College a Catholic fee paying school on the other side of the highway 5 minutes from Mornington Secondary. There is Mt Eliza Secondary but I don't know anything about it. Then there are the fee paying Balcombe Grammar in Mt Martha, Peninsula School and Toorak College in Mt Eliza that are all very expensive!!

Frankston High in Frankston South that Petals has mentioned is a very good school but you have to be in the zone like she said.

Let me know if I can help you more or inbox me.

Archived