Money still in UK - where to SAVE it that I can open from here

Julian927

With the exchange rate still AAWWWFFFUL we have money still in the UK. Can anyone suggest a savings account that I can open from over here that gives me a reasonable interest rate.....the one I have currently is coming to the end of its year and the rate reverts to low, low low. I thought maybe my husband could open an account with ING (3%) but find that you can only ring an 0800 number and need a touch tone phone....so any suggestions welcome.

Julie

With the exchange rate still AAWWWFFFUL we have money still in the UK. Can anyone suggest a savings account that I can open from over here that gives me a reasonable interest rate.....the one I have currently is coming to the end of its year and the rate reverts to low, low low. I thought maybe my husband could open an account with ING (3%) but find that you can only ring an 0800 number and need a touch tone phone....so any suggestions welcome.

Julie

Sorry, can't help but also interested in others suggestions!

Id trans it over here and stick it in savings, i trans my money in march for 1.60 and now its sitting in a 6.3% savings account with ANZ gaining much more money than it would do in the UK. Exchange rates might not raise for years and may drop even more, i decided to bite the bullet and trans it all over and im glad i did as the pound is so weak now.

Id trans it over here and stick it in savings, i trans my money in march for 1.60 and now its sitting in a 6.3% savings account with ANZ gaining much more money than it would do in the UK. Exchange rates might not raise for years and may drop even more, i decided to bite the bullet and trans it all over and im glad i did as the pound is so weak now.

In hindsight, I should have moved it when the exchange rate was 2.3 or even 1.75 which is what I got for the rest of my money....but somehow 1.49 and £200,000 would grieve me too much.

Julie

Julie

The other tricky problem is so many UK accounts insist that you are resident when you open the account. I have seen suggestions that some of the UK clearing bank's off-shore accounts will allow non-residents to open accounts but offer quite poor interest rates.

We have just opened online accounts with Northern Rock and Birmingham Midshires that pay 2.75% but have no 12 month bonus condition to avoid the problem you have but they both mention you have to be UK resident to open them (hopefully we want to leave house sale money in them when time comes).

Do you have family left in the UK who's address you can use plus a UK current account left open?

The other tricky problem is so many UK accounts insist that you are resident when you open the account. I have seen suggestions that some of the UK clearing bank's off-shore accounts will allow non-residents to open accounts but offer quite poor interest rates.

We have just opened online accounts with Northern Rock and Birmingham Midshires that pay 2.75% but have no 12 month bonus condition to avoid the problem you have but they both mention you have to be UK resident to open them (hopefully we want to leave house sale money in them when time comes).

Do you have family left in the UK who's address you can use plus a UK current account left open?

We have got family in the UK, but we don't think they would like us to use their address for this....but even if we could, we can't do the touch tone phone requirement on the 0800 number from here.

We have got family in the UK, but we don't think they would like us to use their address for this....but even if we could, we can't do the touch tone phone requirement on the 0800 number from here.

Why would you want this account?

http://www.ingdirect.co.uk/savings/variable_rate/openonline.asp

You fail the second requirement: *Must be resident in the UK

You would only have the same problem in 12 months when the interest rate drops and as you have said you also need the touchtone phone.

We just want any account where we could place our funds and earn maybe 2.75%. We had thought of ING because my husband had had an account with them that we thought maybe we could resurrect. So all suggestions would be gratefully investigated. I assume from what you say that Birmingham Midshires or Northern Rock don't have the residency requirement?...so hopefully they will serve the purpose provided we can open them from over here.

you can ring an 0800 number just try 0011448 you do not put the 0 before the 0800 number you just put the internation dialing code as above and then 800 followed by the rest of the number that is what i do for my uk acct telephone banking.

you can ring an 0800 number just try 0011448 you do not put the 0 before the 0800 number you just put the internation dialing code as above and then 800 followed by the rest of the number that is what i do for my uk acct telephone banking.

Sorry the above may not be too clear it should look 001144800 followed by rest of number after the 800 if that makes sense.

• 1 month later...

Have you looked at an off shore account with HSBC? That's what I'm now considering but you need to have quite a large sum to get the account 'fee free'. Almost all other accounts I have researched require you to be resident in the UK.

Archived