457 to Citizenship

AaronS

Guest Guest31881

To apply for citizenship you have to be in Australia for 4 years, and at least the last year has to be on a PR visa

Guest Guest31881

This is from the government web site and details the requirements for citizenship.

The residence requirement is based on the time you have lived in Australia and the time you have spent outside Australia.

You must:

• have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying which must include the last 12 months as a permanent resident, and
  • not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, in the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.

Guest Guest31881
I stand corrected. Sorry for confusing things.

No need to be sorry, This was the ruling in the past and this time next year the rules will probably changed again..... :wink:

Ouch...this could get complicated for us then. I better ask our migration agent for the specifics on whether a 457 can segway to a PR.

That's a whole new thread in itself ;) this can be a complicated time expensive approach to PR and generally not recommended by most agents. That said , it's the way we did it :)

Good luck

Guest guest36187

My experience ......457 feb 05 til Jan 07. PR Jan 07. Citizenship 09 around June time.

Guest Heathcote

Also depends on your circumstances and qualifications. There are many more occupations on the ENS list. Also many people cant get a skills assessment and this may not be required if looking to lodge a subclass 856.

Archived