moving to canberra

Guest clomo

Guest clomo

Hiya, i am an 11 year old girl moving out to canberra with my sister and parents. i have been a bit nervous lately and was wondering if anyone around the same age was in the same position! i am quite a sporty person and love going on my bike and doing gymnastics! i have a 4 year old sister who is also very active! Anything you could tell me would be very helpful!!!!

thanks

I am sure you will be fine, there are lots of gymnastics clubs here in Canberra and if your parents know whereabouts you will be going to school then the school may be able to arrange a pen pal for you before you arrive so you "know" someone.

If you turn 12 before 30 April next year then you will be going into year 6 for the remainder of this year and then into HS year 7 next year (if you dont turn 12 before then, though, you will be in year 5 this year and year 6, 2012). Dont let it worry you that the year names are different, you will be with kids the same age as yourself and kids going into HS are usually pretty friendly because everyone needs to make new friends at the same time (kids in ACT often dont go to the local HS but many of them go to private schools for HS)

i am quite a sporty person and love going on my bike

thanks

Canberra is wonderful for bike riding. There are many bike paths, especially through the parklands, and there are acres and acres of parklands

Guest SandP
Hiya, i am an 11 year old girl moving out to canberra with my sister and parents. i have been a bit nervous lately and was wondering if anyone around the same age was in the same position! i am quite a sporty person and love going on my bike and doing gymnastics! i have a 4 year old sister who is also very active! Anything you could tell me would be very helpful!!!!

thanks

Hello, we moved out here April 20 and our 8 year old daughter started school on 9th May so she was straight into a new country, new life, new school and new people. I thought she might find it a bit hard but she settled in really easily and has made new friends. We go cycling most weekends and there is lots to do and see.

I know it seems a bit scary (even for the parents) but the people here are so friendly I really don't think it would be a problem for you to fit in. If you find it hard when you get here we would be happy to meet you and your parents if they would like. we have a 4 year old daughter to so your sister could have an instant friend and if you don't mind an 8 yr old friend I am sure our eldest daughter would love it.

Get your parents to contact me if they want to meet.

all the best for your trip and please don't worry.

Sara

Guest clomo

thank you for that boost of confidence! it has really made me feel better! knowing what year in school i will be in is a lot better! knowing what i like is going to be there when i want to do it is great!

many thanks

chloe!

Archived