Camping gear

Guest sarahod

Guest sarahod

We are planning on moving out to Brisbane November this year and was wondering what to do about our tent!!! Has anybody else bought their tent out to Oz???

hi, would love to know the answer to this too! Love camping and will have to sell our beloved caravan but have tents and heaps of camping accessories that we want to bring. Worried on two counts though, sure i read on here a while back that you have to pay a cleaning charge due to the risk of bringing earth into the country? Also a bit worried about our tent being too warm! Hope someone in the know will answer this!

Guest Guest 47403

We're taking all our camping gear except the tent, firstly they have to be spotless to get through customs and secondly tents in Oz tend to have more ventilation so we'll be buying when we get there.

Be careful though, while tents over here have lots of ventilation, many are not at all designed to cope with any wind or rain. If you intend to do any camping in the winter months (or rainy season if you're in the tropics), I would bring your UK tents. Mine is a British design, and I've never had any problems with it, even in summer, as can just leave the doors open on the fly, fully open the ventilation flaps, and have the door on the inner tent open with just the mozzie nets done up.

We sent ours over. It's still in transit but I've regretted doing it since. I gave it a really good clean but a tent being what it is I might not have gotten into every nook and cranny and AQIS are bound to find dirt now.

Tents here are good value too.

Be careful though, while tents over here have lots of ventilation, many are not at all designed to cope with any wind or rain. If you intend to do any camping in the winter months (or rainy season if you're in the tropics), I would bring your UK tents. Mine is a British design, and I've never had any problems with it, even in summer, as can just leave the doors open on the fly, fully open the ventilation flaps, and have the door on the inner tent open with just the mozzie nets done up.

Er...would an 8 inch (200 mm) deluge be sufficient to test the quality of Australian tents??

I was in the tail-end of a cyclone at Sarina Beach in a 4 person family tent when this happened and not a drop entered the tent. Admittedly, I spent the entire night holding up the tent as winds gusted up to 50 mph (80 kmh).

Would you say that those conditions would be sufficient to give a nod of approval to the quality of Australian tents and fabric?

Cheers, Bobj.

I've been in a pretty bad thunderstorm in the Grampians in my british tent and been the only dry person on the campground the following morning... (Not sure how much was dumped, as didn't look it up)

Then there was the time in winter where it was windy and temps were lower than 5C and my partner and I were the only people in our party of 20 who didn't spend the whole night shivering, but actually slept fine.

I've also been in a 200mm deluge (the one that caused all that flooding in Queensland this Christmas hols) in a borrowed tent and been a not very happy bunny the following morning.

Just posting based on my experience. And the point I admittedly badly was trying to make, was that if you've got a decent tent in the UK, you might as well bring it with you.

You'll also note I said "many", not "all" australian made tents, I'm sure there are good ones out there, it's just not been my experience so far.

Another one...Lived in a 10' x 8' tent for 2 years the West Kimberley Region, some 50 km (30 miles out from Broome) Went through two Wet Seasons. The tent fly was a 12' x 12' heavy canvas. Still have that fly and it still holds out water...Age? better than 40 years old! Though, after being folded for so long, the folds might leak slightly.

Cheers, Bobj.

Another one...Lived in a 10' x 8' tent for 2 years the West Kimberley Region, some 50 km (30 miles out from Broome) Went through two Wet Seasons. The tent fly was a 12' x 12' heavy canvas. Still have that fly and it still holds out water...Age? better than 40 years old! Though, after being folded for so long, the folds might leak slightly.

Cheers, Bobj.

Ach! they don't make things like they used to.... ;)

• 1 month later...

Camping in the bed of Copeton Dam, northern NSW. During the 1980s drought, the dam was at 3% capacity. As a comparison, imagine Derwent Water at about 5%...

CampAtCopeton.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. The deepest part was still 138ft (42 metres)

You may as well include it in the shipping. We brought 3 (a one man, a Vango 2 man and very expensive north face one made to expedition standard). We had no problems through customs with any of our camping/outdoor gear, and we had a lot. We used the Vango a couple of times and it was fine. Did use a heavy duty ground sheet underneath as there was more spiky stuff on the ground. But try yours out, if its too hot/small you could then consider getting a new one.

• 6 years later...

Archived