Visit pets in quarantine?

saralloyd

Guest gazmundo

hi there, we have two british bull dogs and have enquired with air pets and they have told me certain kennels for quarantine do allow visits every day and they are worth a call even just to check.

Hi guys..I flew my two Boston terriers out to Sydney 2.5 years ago. They flew together in the same container. I was very upsetting for us to leave them at Heathrow airport especially as we did not fly out until 2 weeks later!! so I understand how upsetting it is to leave your pets. However they arrived in one piece coped with quarantine well. To be honest we were planning on visiting them but we did not want to upset them by leaving them again (and it would have been too upsetting for us too!!) especially has kennels can be a stressful place as it is without us making them worse. As it happened we really did not have the time to go to Sydney to visit anyhow, we were too frantic trying to find rental with dogs, schooling etc etc. We rang quarantine every few days and I do believe that being together helped them alot and when we picked them up a month later..they were all over us..they definately had not forgotten us at all. I think we owners stress out far more than our pets do.. remember its only one month and it really does go very quickly...your pets will not forget who you are... best of luck to those still waiting...

Guest s4mmy

I have just sent my gorgeous life long companion on her flight from Heathrow to Sydney.

It was a devastating goodbye, as my parents have fallen in love with Macy. They have looked after her for me for the past 9 months whilst I am at work. (Retired)

So she has been truly spoilt by all of us!

She is a very sociable fun loving dog with the most amazing temperament.

Friends came round with their dogs so it really was an emotional day.

James cargo LTd arranged Macy to be driven to Heathrow and they were exceptional a real one to one service. She rang me when she got to Heathrow and informing me at every stage.

She is flying tonight this is what I am most apprehensive about.

I have booked her for the extra dog walks which is reassuring that she will not be isolated and have regular human contact. She hates being on her own. Thats why the flight will be the hardest part.

It is reassuring to hear that you have had similar anxieties and I am just as soppy when it comes to Macy.

The house is so empty and lonely without her.

I fly to Brisbane next Sunday so will see her in 30 days.

I have just sent my gorgeous life long companion on her flight from Heathrow to Sydney.

It was a devastating goodbye, as my parents have fallen in love with Macy. They have looked after her for me for the past 9 months whilst I am at work. (Retired)

So she has been truly spoilt by all of us!

She is a very sociable fun loving dog with the most amazing temperament.

Friends came round with their dogs so it really was an emotional day.

James cargo LTd arranged Macy to be driven to Heathrow and they were exceptional a real one to one service. She rang me when she got to Heathrow and informing me at every stage.

She is flying tonight this is what I am most apprehensive about.

I have booked her for the extra dog walks which is reassuring that she will not be isolated and have regular human contact. She hates being on her own. Thats why the flight will be the hardest part.

It is reassuring to hear that you have had similar anxieties and I am just as soppy when it comes to Macy.

The house is so empty and lonely without her.

I fly to Brisbane next Sunday so will see her in 30 days.

Dont worry about her, animals tend to cope better than we do. The 30 days will go really quickly as it did with us. You will look back on this time and know that it was the best thing you ever did.

In the meantime have a good flight and bring all your woolly jumpers as its quite cold over in Oz at the moment if you can believe that! :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest whiskeysmom

We have a Golden retriever 2 years old, now we are moving from India to Australia and hence he needs to be quarantined in Singapore for 6 months,he has never before even stayed in a kennel. So our worry is will he be fine and be his happy go lucky type or this will affect his temperament a good deal. We would greatly appreciate some help from the members past experience.

Rimal& Sanjeet

I haven't any first hand experience but it used to be 6 months quarantine when you brought a dog in to the UK and I never heard anything bad apart from the owners missing their dogs. I'm sure his personality won't change, he'll just be thrilled to see you!

Guest surferchicksal

Hi there!

When we moved to Oz the first time we took our 9 year old German shepherd. He was in quarantine for about 6 weeks I think. We visited him once a week and we sat in the car and cried our eyes out every visit as we could not bear to leave him in there and we could hear him howling when we left! It broke our hearts but we kept going so he knew he wasnt just going to this strange place and being left there. The day we picked him up was amazing her was so thin and worn out and a bit sad but he squeeked and howled and barked for the hour trip to his new home. it was like he was telling us off. A week later he was back to his normal loopy self and happy as can be. He slept outside all the time on his bed with legs! wouldnt hardly come in the house. (he was always sat in our conservatory in UK never came out unless he had too) He sadly passed away 2.5 years later. we feel he had a great life out in Oz and the warmth helped him in his later years. I feel if we left him at home he would have passed even earlier! He was a great dog, and very sadly missed. Hope all of you have good experiences with the quarantine and your prized animals are home and safe soon xx

Guest MontyClaude
We have a Golden retriever 2 years old, now we are moving from India to Australia and hence he needs to be quarantined in Singapore for 6 months,he has never before even stayed in a kennel. So our worry is will he be fine and be his happy go lucky type or this will affect his temperament a good deal. We would greatly appreciate some help from the members past experience.

Rimal& Sanjeet

Poor thing having to be quarantined for 6 months. I have a golden retriever too and although he'll miss me in quarantine I think he'll cope better than my bernese. Retrievers are nosy, inquisitive dogs, I reckon he'll bounce back to himself as soon as you get him back.

Best of luck.

Guest MontyClaude

Just an update, we were able to reschedule the animals flights. They fly Sat 15th Oct and we fly Tues 18th Oct so I'll be able to visit them on the Friday and then no doubt bawl my eyes out for the weekend!

Guest whiskeysmom

Thank you, for the help and advise ,I am little at ease now, my Golden boy yet doesn't know about the plan, guess he will figure out once the crate and stuff will arrive. Now will start the procedure to reserve a spot for him in Singapore. Will visiting him every month be of any help to him ??( I know will help be a bit to see my boy once every 30 days) Gosh haven't stayed a day away from him since he was 8 weeks. Guess will be a regular at this forum for sure, it has helped me a lot. Once again Hearty Thank you !WhiskeyRay?authkey=Gv1sRgCJX_jK6-_PiTsgE#5580335034696295298

Guest MontyClaude

It's so horrible having to leave them, there is someone on this forum who had their dog in quarantine for 6 months and they said apart from him needing a good wash when he got out he was fine.

I really can't say whether it's good or bad to visit them, I just know that I will visit :)

Safe trip for you all and your golden boy - they are such sweet and loving dogs.

Guest nicolajwhittaker

Sara

I am going through the exact same dilemma - my two gorgeous very pampered cocker spaniels go on Monday morning Singapore to Perth - I am virtually crying every day at what is ahead for them, I am never more than a shopping trip away from them or a nights sleep - apparently the quarantine stations are wonderful with all their "guests" however I have booked a walking and cuddling service from an external company in Perth called Dog Walks - it costs an additional 420 dollars but I feel every dollar worth it - Karen and her team go in on the designated visiting slots and exercise and play with the dogs and post pictures on their website for me to see - I can go and visit as I am listed on the visitation permit but I think it will distress my little fella and lady (an me!!) too much - 30 days and counting!!! - good luck with your plans.

Probably far worse for you than for them. I am sure yours will be fine as they have each other!

30 days goes very quickly ... ??? I hope!

I've been in touch with Karen at Dog Walks too, she sounds brilliant, so helpful and understanding.

I will definitely book with her. All the Best to you and your spaniels!

Archived